cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA112 - Are there specialized versions of this unit

boyer
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased a SPA112 from amazon.  To make a long story short. menu and menu entries like setting the time and user lists do no appear.  I was just wondering if this wasn't a firmware specific modem for a particular provider with certain menu's locked out.  I've tried a factory reset which does not change the menu's.  I thought maybe with this being a more basic unit and the manul being dual SPA112 and SPA122 maybe that was the reason for some of the missing menus but I figure setting the time on the unit and being able to update the firmware are pretty basic to all models.  The unit was a brown box unit with two numbers I could not identify.  One a TAN number 74-9317-02 and a sticker SPA-CLIP-G1.  I'm just trying to confirm why these menus are missing with the speculation that this unit was specific to a certain ISIP provider and came locked down.  Thanks!

--Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mike,

No there are no specialized units of the SPA112. However, if previously configured, some attributes could be hidden. I doubt that this is the case with you though.

Suggestions:

1. On the web-UI splash page, look for the firmware version. If it's older than 1.2.1(004), you *must* use Internet Explorer else you will miss certain display attributes. Once you've upgraded to 1.2.1(004) or newer, you can use any browser.

2. Make sure that you log in as admin / admin if you want to perform administrator tasks.
    If you log in as cisco / cisco, you will only be a general user and will not see many admin-related components.

3. Take a look at the resources reference document in my signature. It will help you find the quick start guide, user guide, admin guide, provisioning guide, firmware release notes, firmware versions, application notes, and troubleshooting tips.

Regards,

Patrick---

Use this reference document to locate SPA ATA resources

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mike, there are Service Provider models for almost all of the small business voice products. Anything that is like SPA-xxxx-R1,R2,RC3 or R4 and RC are revision product and are "unusable". There may be some exceptions where the products were previously provisioned and certain features were locked out.

One of the problems with Amazon is that a lot of the products from there are sold by individual users under Amazon's name... I don't understand how Amazon could be a Cisco Authorized Reseller since this is the same equivalance as eBay but it is what it is...

Me personally I do not buy electronics from Amazon for this particular reason.

If you can't reset the unit through the IVR you may want to swap it out and see

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

It was the IE problem you listed. I was using Mozilla Seamonkey and those side menus were missing.  I tried IE (which I should have done in the first place) and they all show up.  Its been so long since I've run into any sort of appliance device where it mattered that I didn't give that a second thought.  Thanks Patrick and Tom for your quick responses.

--Mike

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mike,

No there are no specialized units of the SPA112. However, if previously configured, some attributes could be hidden. I doubt that this is the case with you though.

Suggestions:

1. On the web-UI splash page, look for the firmware version. If it's older than 1.2.1(004), you *must* use Internet Explorer else you will miss certain display attributes. Once you've upgraded to 1.2.1(004) or newer, you can use any browser.

2. Make sure that you log in as admin / admin if you want to perform administrator tasks.
    If you log in as cisco / cisco, you will only be a general user and will not see many admin-related components.

3. Take a look at the resources reference document in my signature. It will help you find the quick start guide, user guide, admin guide, provisioning guide, firmware release notes, firmware versions, application notes, and troubleshooting tips.

Regards,

Patrick---

Use this reference document to locate SPA ATA resources

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: