Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA112 ATA CallerID issue causes device to hang

justineichel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I just thought I would share my experience with an issue setting up my SPA112 with voip.ms. Although I still do not have a solution, the Cisco technical support has been very helpful allowing us to track down and debug the issue.

Hardware: SPA112

Firmware: 1.1.0 (011) Feb 10 2012

ITSP: voip.ms

Service Number: SR 622048069

issue:

Inbound calls through the DID cause SPA112 to ring once. The ATA immediately drops the call and loses ethernet. The device is unresponseive until it is rebooted. If the device is not rebooted, there is no dial tone on the headset connected to the ATA.

The device hangs when I called it from my cell phone or from skype dialed to a phone number. The device works when I call it from another voip extension or through any softphone connected to my asterisk PBX on my local network.

The device works fine when the cisco representiative called from his companies voip phone and his companies analoge non-voip line.

We've tested the device with and without a NAT with the SIP connected directly to voip.ms (no asterisk server running).

After setting up some debug equipement, the cisco representative was able to determine that the cause of the hangup was related to incoming callerid errors. We are still invegstiating the issue and I will keep you posted as I get more information.

The device only seems to fail when it recieves calls from some numbers. I do not know which incoming numbers cause this issue at this point.

work around:

1) At this time the PAP2T, which uses the exact same settings as the SPA112, works without any problems.

2) We are also looking into alternatives, such as disabling the CallerID on the SPA112 until the firmware is upgraded or overriding the caller ID info using my asterisk server.

Justin

5 Replies 5

justineichel
Level 1
Level 1

workaround:

2) disable CallerID - Voice - Line 1 - CID Serv: no

This removes all callerid functionality, but at least it no longer drops incoming calls.

Additional info:

The issue might be related to the incoming length of the callerID. After playing with the voip.ms DID setting "

CallerID Name Prefix", it looks like I can crash the SPA112 device when I make the callerID name too long. I've overriden the long callerIDs that have crashed my system through voip.ms phone book entries (in forwarding) and my system seems pretty stable.

I recently purchased a SPA112 myself & I've discovered a very similar issue.

Inbound calls from my work (VoIP system) cause SPA112 to ring once. The ATA immediately drops the call and loses ethernet/internet. The device is unresponseive until it is rebooted. If the device is not rebooted, there is no dial tone on the handsets connected to the ATA.

I've updated my firmware to

Firmware for SPA112 and SPA122, Version 1.2.1(004)

Release Date: 15 Aug 2012 Release: 1.2.1(004)

Hi Ralph,

After spending about two weeks with my device. I confirmed that it crashes if the incoming Caller ID string is too long. I don't remember the exact length. You should be able to detect the issue by having your work call a softphone on the PC so that you can view the incoming caller id string. If possible see if you can get your work to send a very short caller id string (13 chars or less i.e. 123-456-7890) to your system.

Good luck,

Justin

Well, I can confirm in my case it's not the caller ID string, my work DDN only displays the 9 character number. So unless it's the reverse name look-up feature that my provider uses... I'm still new to this at the moment. Still looking & learning.