cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA112 can not restore konfiguration on firmware 1.4.1 SR3

Ralf_H
Level 1
Level 1

My englisch ist not so good. So i keep it simpel.
Problemw with SPA112: Only with firmware 1.4.1 SR3 i can't restore a backuped configuration.
With 1.4.1 or 1.4.1 SR1 it work perfektly.
With 1.4.1 SR3 it schowen everytime "Restore has failed".

Hier my teststeps:
[Version in SPA112] [Teststep]
1.4.1 SR1
1.4.1 SR1 Backup OK (SR1-Backup File: SPA112_1.4.1SR1.cfg)

1.4.1 SR1 Update 1.4.1 SR3 OK "Upgrade is successful"
1.4.1 SR3 Reboot
1.4.1 SR3 Backup OK (SR3-Backup File: SPA112_1.4.1.cfg)
1.4.1 SR3 Restore the SR3-Backup "Restore has failed"

1.4.1 SR3 RESET with ResetButton (more the 20Sek / Full factorydefault)
1.4.1 SR3 Restore the SR3-Backup "Restore has failed" (Only all configurations under "Voice" not restored)

1.4.1 SR3 Restore the SR1-Backup "Restore has failed" (Only all configurations under "Voice" not restored)

1.4.1 SR3 Backup OK (File: SPA112_1.4.1.cfg)
1.4.1 SR3 Restore the Backup "Restore has failed" (Restore from the Backup of the Factorydefault failed!)

1.4.1 SR3 Downdate 1.4.1 SR1 OK "Upgrade is successful"
1.4.1 SR1 Reboot
1.4.1 SR1 RESET with ResetButton (more the 20Sek / Full factorydefault)
1.4.1 SR1 Restore the SR1-Backup OK "Restore is successful" (All configurations restored)

1.4.1 SR1 RESET with ResetButton (more the 20Sek / Full factorydefault)
1.4.1 SR1 Restore the SR3-Backup OK "Restore is successful" (All configurations restored)

In Firmwar 1.4.1 SR3 the restore of a configuration always showen "has failed" and restore not the configuration under "Voice".
All backuped confikurations in 1.4.1 SR3 can in 1.4.1 SR1 (or 1.4.1) sucsesfully restored.
So there ist only way to restore in 1.4.1 SR3 the configuration. Downgrade to 1.4.1 SR1, Factorydefault, Restore configuration, Upgrade to 1.4.1 SR3.
But i think it's a not good solution.

I hope somwer can help me.

48 Replies 48

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I think it's a bug with 1.4(1)SR3.
Had the same issue after upgrading to this version.

I've struck this problem with both an SPA112 & SPA122.  SR1 can be upgraded to SR3 successfully, however a configuration file saved with SR1 cannot then be uploaded.  Upgrading, saving the configuration, and then uploading the config saved under SR3 doesn't work either.

I've struck this problem with both an SPA112 managed with a Linux system and an SPA122 managed with Windows.  File protections appear to be fine, and in both cases reverting to SR1 fixes the problem.

At least firmware upgrade & downgrade works!

Regards,

David

Regards,

David

mridsing
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

I think configuration file and logs needs to be checked. Kindly request you to open a service request with us by following below link:-

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Thanks and regards,

Mridul

Cisco SBSC

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So there ist only way to restore in 1.4.1 SR3 the configuration. Downgrade to 1.4.1 SR1, Factorydefault, Restore configuration, Upgrade to 1.4.1 SR3.

Or save configuration in XML format, add passwords to it (passwords are omitted from this kind of backup) then restore them via provisioning.

David30
Level 1
Level 1

@Ralf_H wrote:

But i think it's a not good solution.

I agree!  Is there a fix for this problem yet?  I see SR4 has been released but the Release Notes don't mention anything which sounds like it.

I apologise there - the Release Notes for SR4 mention this "open caveat":

CSCvf45915   SPA112/122:   Downgrade Rev Limit not recognize SR version

Is that it?

No, downgrade  rev limit is option related to something different. Read Administrators Guide for details.

Note that Release Notes are not reliable list of changes. It's rather randomly selected subset of changes. So if you wish to know the SR4 solves a issue, upgrade to it and test. 

As I mentioned already, you can use SR3 as long as you use XML configuration file as primary source of configuration. In such case, you can provision SPAxxx from it whenever you wish and you need not to use "create backup" feature of SPAxxx as you already have configuration in file outside of SPAxxx.

Thanks, Dan.  I presume the profile compiler must be used to create an XML version of the configuration, and I'll give it a whirl.

David

No. Compiled configuration is another form of configuration suitable for provisioning.I didn't mention it for the same reason you refused to use it.

XML configuration is just XML - e.g. text you can read by naked eye and edit in text editor.

@Dan Lukes wrote:

I didn't mention it [a compiled configuration]  for the same reason you refused to use it.

???!!!

Pages 51ff of the Provisioning Guide Ch. 2 give an overview of this subject if anyone else is interested.

@Dan Lukes wrote:

Note that Release Notes are not reliable list of changes. It's rather randomly selected subset of changes. So if you wish to know the SR4 solves a issue, upgrade to it and test.

1.4.1 SR4 doesn't fix the problem.  I varied one parameter then attempted to reload the old SPA112_1.4.1SR1.cfg configuration file however the parameter didn't change, indicating the file either wasn't read successfully or contained an apparent error (the diagnostic isn't helpful).

I notice the SR1 configuration file is named SPA112_1.4.1SR1.cfg but SR4 saves a file named SPA112_1.4.1.cfg.  However a file saved by SR4 can't be loaded either and, for the record, changing the file name to SPA112_1.4.1SR4.cfg doesn't help, not that I'd expect it to.

Finally, when I run the configuration utility with a legacy .cfg file as input I get the following error:

./spa112-1-4-1-000-spc-linux-i386  SPA112_1.4.1SR1.cfg  SPA112_1.4.1SR1.xml
spc: cannot open file SPA112_1.4.1SR1.cfg for reading
spc: failed: configuration file not generated

The file protections are fine.  Is this because the .cfg file is encrypted and, if so, is there any way of circumventing that?  I'd like to avoid the error-prone process of creating an XML file from scratch.

My recommendation is - don't use save/load feature at all.

XML form of configuration can be fetched via http://[phone ip]/admin/spacfg.xml URL. Such save contain no password, you need to add them by manual edit.

It's one time step - once configuration become saved this way, it become primary source of configuration. Every change of configuration you wish to do needs to be done in this file. So you have "backup" of configuration and you need not to save it anymore.

This file can be provisioned into phone whenever you wish - just configure "Profile Rule" to a server where the XML configuration can be fetched.

Forget SPC, XML configuration is used as is, no compilation is required.

Hi Dan, thanks for your response.

@Dan Lukes wrote:

XML form of configuration can be fetched via http://[phone ip]/admin/spacfg.xml URL.

I presume the SPA admin access-credentials must be used (http://username:password@IP-address/admin/spacfg.xml ....?)  However Firefox then pops up a message stating the website doesn't require a password, and continuing just takes me to the usual login window.  What am I doing wrong?

@Dan Lukes wrote:

It's one time step - once configuration become saved this way, it become primary source of configuration. Every change of configuration you wish to do needs to be done in this file.

That would be good practice, but is it still possible to make changes interactively and save the current configuration as a .cfg file?  This could still sometimes be useful.

And would you please explain why the conversion using SPC which I mentioned above is failing?

Hi Dan, thanks for your reply.  My earlier response seems to have failed, so here goes again.

I'm unable to access the XML configuration file with or without admin access credentials (http://username:password@IP-address/admin/spacfg.xml ...?).  Firefox pops up a message stating the website doesn't require login credentials or something to that effect, and proceeding just takes me to the SPA interactive login page.  What am I missing?

Also, you said "once configuration become saved this way, it become primary source of configuration. Every change of configuration you wish to do needs to be done in this file.".  Do you mean this is simply good practice, or does the SPA not subsequently support interactive changes and backup of the .cfg configuration file?

Finally, why do you advise not using SPC to convert an existing .cfg file to xml?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: