Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA112 - Can receive but not make calls

I have just setup an SPA112 at home behind a NAT router and have configured it to a state where I can receive but not make calls.

It registers fine and remains registered.

The Line 1 Status indicates a State of "invalid" and a Tone of "reorder" when the call fails.

I believe I have fiddled with the dial plan sufficient to ensure that the number is not being rejected based on it. My current dial plan is as follows:

(*xx|000S0|0[2-9][69]xxxxxxxS0|[69]xxxxxxxS0|04xxxxxxxxS0|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)

I have tried with and without an outbound proxy.

I have attempted to debug the issue, enabling full DEBUG level logging and setting "SIP debug option" to "full", but all I get in the log when making a failed call is the following:

Jul 23 21:35:29 SPA112 kern.warning [17339229.112000]  In cordless Driver Codec 18 and str G.729/8000  chan 0

Jul 23 21:35:29 SPA112 kern.warning [17339229.112000]  In cordless Driver Codec 8 and str PCMA/8000  chan 0

Jul 23 21:35:29 SPA112 kern.warning [17339229.112000]  In cordless Driver Codec 0 and str PCMU/8000  chan 0

Jul 23 21:35:29 SPA112 kern.warning [17339229.112000]  In cordless Driver Codec 2 and str G.726/8000  chan 0

Jul 23 21:35:29 SPA112 kern.warning [17339229.112000]  In cordless Driver Codec 100 and str NSE/8000  chan 0

Jul 23 21:35:29 SPA112 kern.warning [17339229.112000]  In cordless Driver Codec 112 and str encaprtp/8000  chan 0

Jul 23 21:35:29 SPA112 daemon.notice msgswitchd[310]:   MSGSWD RTCP Reqt len 12 Data 2,17,7304,0

Jul 23 21:35:29 SPA112 kern.warning [17339229.268000] 

Jul 23 21:35:29 SPA112 kern.warning [17339229.268000]  #### RTP STOP Flag set in this channel break ####

Jul 23 21:35:29 SPA112 kern.warning [17339229.272000]  ###### sock_sendmsg return 172

I have been unable to find any information about these warnings on th net.

I can successfully make calls with soft phones configured with similar settings behind the same router.

What am I missing?

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

7 Replies 7

m1xed0s
Spotlight
Spotlight

So you can receive call from PSTN and internal LAN but can not make call to internal extension OR simply can not make call to PSTN and internal extension?

I had issue that user receives call from internal extension and user can hear the other end but user can not be heard. That was routing or ACL issue. You certain would want to check that.

The other thing I can think about COR (Class of Restriction).

Thanks for the post.

To clarify, I have been testing the connection by attempting calls to and from my mobile phone. If I use my mobile to call the number linked to the VOIP account that the SPA112 connects to, the call is received fine and the call works perfectly; I can hear voice at both ends fine.

If I attempt to call the mobile from the phone behind the SPA112 I immediately get a reorder tone as soon as the number is dialed by the SPA112 (i.e. immediately if it matches a number in the dial plan followed by S0 or after the short wait period otherwise etc.)

On the other hand, if I use a softphone (I've tried MicroSIP and Blink) I can place calls to the same mobile through the same VOIP account from the same LAN behind the same NAT as the SPA112, and the calls are received and bidirectional voice comms works just fine.

I'm not sure if I can make calls internal to my LAN with this setup... I only have the one VOIP account, and have no SIP server on the LAN (if that's the right terminology, I'm new to this).

Unfortunately I'm not sure what you're refering to when you talk about ACL and COR. The topology is very straight forward: the SPA112 (along with a couple of PCs) on a LAN behind a NAT router with an internet connection on the other side. The SPA112 is configured as a DMZ, though I don't believed this had any impact for better or worse. In no test for either SPA112 or softphone have I forwarded any ports or changed any router configuration at all (with the exception of the DMZ).

So the question is why the softphone can place calls fine, but the SPA112 can only receive calls. The dial plan is an obvious answer, but I'm fairly certain I've ruled this out.

If someone can tell me how to get more detailed logging out of the SPA112 that would be very useful as well.

So no suggestions from Cisco or the community then?

Try testing by putting only (x.) in the dial plan. If it still doesn't work then you can pretty much rule out the dial plan as your problem.

no direct recommendation as to your issue, but I would be sure you're running the latest firmware.  We just installed one of these units at our office for use with a fax machine, and had nothing but problems until updating the firmware.  Since then it has been smooth sailing.

Sage Major
Level 1
Level 1

I dont see an error about G711.  It is possible that what you are connected to will only take inbound calls on a specific codec.

Are you sending your logging to a syslog server?  It looks like you are missing some logging.

Thanks to your comment about syslog I've gotten much better logging happening by setting my PCs ip as the "debug server" and monitoring it with wireshark.

Comparing the SIP logging to a successful call from a softphone (monitored using wireshark again) it would appear that my problem is that INVITES are being placed to "XXXXXXXX@my.sip,proxy.com" as opposed to "XXXXXXXX@my.sip.domain.com" as it were i.e. my proxy server is being used as the SIP domain, which is incorrect for my VOIP provider.

To resolve the problem I had to configure the "proxy" as the SIP domain, and the "outbound proxy" as the actual proxy and always use the outbound proxy as I could not discover a way to specify the SIP domain anywhere in the configuration.

Seems like a bizarre solution but my setup is now working fine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: