cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA112 firmware upgrade from 1.0.1 to 1.2.1 kills the SPA

lanwrangler
Level 1
Level 1

I took a brand-new, unconfigured SPA112 out of the box, plugged it into DHCP-enabled network, noted it was running v1.0.1 firmware and attempted a firmware upgrade to 1.2.1 via the web management utility.

After reporting a successful upgrade there was no further response from the SPA112 to HTTP requests, neither was there any response to pings. ARP requests are responded to successfully. The IVR works (as well as the IVR ever works) until I selected to perform a factory reboot at which point the IVR stopped responding as well. Holding the reset button for 20sec does nothing useful. It's dead, Jim.

I've had this experience on another SPA112 as well under similar circumstances although there is nothing in the Release Notes for v1.2.1 to say that such an upgrade does not work.

My questions:

1)Is there any way of recovering these devices or do I need to send them back to Cisco?

2) How am I supposed to perform such a firmware upgrade?

1 Reply 1

zimtiaz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Matthew,

I tried upgrading the firmware upgrade from v1.0.1 to v 1.2.1 and I had the same problem. The device just stopped responding. I tried that in a lab and I figured out what exactly to do when you get in to a problem like that. So lets start off once again.

Snce SPA112 must get an IP first through a DHCP on WAN port. Connect the SPA 112 device according to the instructins told in this article till the step 3.

http://www6.nohold.net/CiscoSB/Loginr.aspx?login=1&pid=4&app=search&vw=1&articleid=2775

Once you access the web GUI of SPA112 follow the contents of the following article and upgrade the firmware

http://www6.nohold.net/CiscoSB/Loginr.aspx?login=1&pid=4&app=search&vw=1&articleid=2676

In your case I believe the window got stucked at the point when it says "The upgrade is successful" and then there was no further response to HTTP requests.

Restart the device and see if it works or not. If it does not then log in to the router web GUI and navigate to the ARP table and see what are the VLAN assigned to the IP address.

NOTE: Both the router and SPA should be in the same VLAN. This way only the device will respond to the HTTP requests. If they are in a different VLAN's, navigate to the VLAN and disable the LAN memberships. For example there are two VLAN ID 1 and 100. Disable the LAN ports for the ID 100 and only enable it for 1.

Navigate to the ARP table again and refresh it. Both the IP addresses should be in the same VLAN. If yes. Access the SPA112 with an IP address assigned to it again and navigate to Administration > Firmware Upgrade. You will see the firmware of the device has been upgraded.

(optional) Upgrade the firmware again. This time, it will go through and the device will restart.

Let me know if you still need any help. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: