cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA112 no dialtone and doesn't detect off-hook

beasolutions
Level 1
Level 1

We've an SPA112 connected to a BT-brand cordless phone. It doesn't detect that the phone is off the hook and there is no dial tone.

I upgraded the firmware to '1.4.1 (002)' (the latest version), then configured it and used a basic corded phone to test it, and it was working fine. I then sent it to our remote worker and he connected his BT Diverse cordless phone and the SPA doesn't seem to want to talk to the phone. He's using the same RJ11 cable as I was, which I sent along with the SPA, but has also tried a different RJ11 cable and that makes no difference. The phone definitely works, as he's tested it directly in his PSTN line, and the SPA is registering successfully.  When I call his extension it shows as ringing in the GUI but the phone doesn't ring.

That led me to think it's down to the phone-specific settings so we followed this troubleshooting guide to try different variations: http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/GetArticle.aspx?docid=a3acfa009afd4893ac1257166e2417d6_Troubleshooting_Phones_connected_to_SPA112_not_ringing_.xml

No luck.  I even copied the settings from line 1 to line 2 in case the socket on the SPA112 has somehow stopped working, but that behaved in exactly the same way.

The odd thing is that we have a customer using the same phone with his SPA112, and that is working fine. I compared the settings on the two SPAs and they're exactly the same (except for the SIP login).

So I'm stumped.  Any ideas?

- Marc

19 Replies 19

I got this reply back from Kenable:

Sorry for the issues, we have had a couple of these dead on arrival, I can test and send a replacement if that would be OK?

Hopefully it was just DOA and they'll send a working one :)

- Marc

That's hard to do remotely and neither of us have a voltmeter.  I think it must be down to the wiring though.  I'll contact Kenable to see if they know the pin wiring of that adapter.

- Marc

Kelnerpmp
Level 1
Level 1

This sounds like the same problem I am having, but panasonic cordless. Phone used to work. Now it doesn't work. What was the known good line configuration detail?

It worked, but it works no longer is common attribute of most issues. It says nothing about the issue itself, so it doesn't help to find solution.

As claimed already in one of previous comment, the "Regional settings" tab of SPA112 must follow connected phone requirements. If the setting you have has been working and you didn't changed them, they are not issue cause. If you will tweak them now, you the things may go worse.

Be more specific than just "it doesn't work" and we will try to help you.

In our case it was actually nothing to do with the settings: the BT plug to RJ11 adaptor we were using was the problem.  I bought a more expensive one (£4 rather than £2!) and now it works fine.

I hope this helps.

- Marc