cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA112 POTS Setup

AlexNBCS43
Level 1
Level 1

Looking to Disable the Detect fax function and turn the SPA 112 into a Dial tone generator only of a fixed number/Extention.

Our current setup resembles to following

INTERNET

\/

FreePBX

\/

SPA112 (@ extention 666)

\/

Another ATA Box (herein referred to as "The Stick")

\/

3 Additional devices that are line sharing

The Stick allows line seizure of the existing alarm system and allows other devices to connect via modem to do meter readings and allows faxes if the proper pauses have not been put in to switch lines

Any suggestions of what feature need to be set to allow pass-through.

5 Replies 5

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So sorry, but I'm still unsure what behavior you expect from SPA112 for incoming / outgoing call ...

It seems I just doesn't understand what you mean "dial tone generator" feature ...

Sorry i found a round about method to solve and achieve the same result. but i would still like to find an easier way to achieve what i was looking to do.

Essentially what I was looking to get done is connect An old PBX ATA Device on Line 1 of the SPA 112. This allowed the alarm system to line grab with Priority. Also it housed the Hydro reading and fax. Hydro was on ,,, ,,, *3,,,*3 as per the device. and the Alarm was on ,,, ,,, *2,,,*2 and fax was on Passthrogh. the problem is that some of the devices are unreachable because the SPA is forcing Fax detection on Inbound. if i disable it no longer receives fax. if i enable it allows fax but still the other devices don't work.

You are using Google translator or so to translate text into English, isn't it ? It's very hard to understand your description - I have no idea what you mean "line grab with Priority", also I have no idea who's Hydro (moreover my English skills are imperfect as well making things even worse).

Also, you are describing three devices connected (alarm, Hydro, fax), but SPA112 have two lines only. So I'm unsure about topology of your network. May be you should draw some schema describing how all those devices are connected in your network.

some of the devices are unreachable because the SPA is forcing Fax detection on Inbound

OK, it's the part of text I understand better.

Statement 'if i disable it no longer receives fax' may disclose you have configured your fax to use so high speed, unsuitable to be transferred using audio codec you are using or you are using compressed codec for voice. Unless T.38 fax codec is allowed to be auto-detected, it's not possible to connect (either because fax speed is so high for uncompressed codec, or because compressed codec can't transfer fax's signal regardless the speed).  Unfortunately, we know neither speed of fax communication you are using nor voice codec used during the call so I'm guessing only.

Well, it seems we should try different approach as free-text description doesn't help me to catch the matter.

Turn on syslog&debug (highest level) on SPA112 and catch the messages during failing call. Also capture SIP dialog packets. It may disclose valuable information related to issue in clear form.

Alright this will probably help. I can't get logs anymore because like mentioned above I have set up the equipment in a different way to achieve the same result.

Found the device the is after the SPA112 is called "the stick" link provided below.

http://faxswitch.com/stick.html

This devices then breaks into 3 more devices. (ill leave the describing to the website above)

Hydro - Is the Electricity company they dial in to get meter readings.

Alarm - is a two way device dialing in (to make sure equipment is running optimally) and must be able to do Line Seizure on outbound calls (terminate other calls in order to call 911 or emergency numbers)

Fax - T.38 is allowed and other signals must work as well.

Before hand this was just a POTS set up so the devices handled there own matters and did all the Coding and decoding, etc. Now the SPA112 is trying to handle a lot of it when i would prefer to let the devices do that.

I thought the term would have been pass-through since the box would only be there to generate Dial Tone and leave all other matters to the "The Stick" and the terminal devices.

OK, now I see some light on the end of tunnel. I know what 'stick' is as well as I know the 'Hydro' is just modem/data device connected to stick's MODEM port (access code *3), Alarm is casual phone device connected to stick's FAX port (access code *2)

So we can speak about the issue now.

line grab with Priority

Unless I missed something you wish it mean:

Alarm device decide to seize it's line.

As a result, Stick will

• disconnect other devices
  • unseize line between stick and SPA112
  • seize stick-to-SPA112 line and route it to Alarm device.

SPA112 can't with it. 'Priority line' is either supported by stick, or it's not possible at all. I has read The Stick Manual carefully, but I found no such feature mentioned.

some of the devices are unreachable because the SPA is forcing Fax detection on Inbound. if i disable it no longer receives fax. if i enable it allows fax but still the other devices don't work

Can you explain "it no longer receives faxes" ? It may mean either

• the fax call is rejected by SPA112 before routed to POTS line
  • call is routed to stick, but CNG tone doesn't pass thru
  • call is routed to stick, CNG tone present but stick doesn't recognize it

Also, extend "doesn't work" statement with some details. Does it mean the calls are rejected by SPA112 before routed to POTS line ? Or they are routed to stick correctly, but stick misrouting them to end devices ?

Before hand this was just a POTS set up so the devices handled there own matters and did all the Coding and decoding, etc. Now the SPA112 is trying to handle a lot of it when i would prefer to let the devices do that.

Then disable fax detection. With detection disabled fax calls are not considered 'fax' and are handled like casual voice call (it's up to stick to recognize CNG and route call accordingly). Of course, SPA112 will not switch to T.38 - as it doesn't know the call in question is fax call.

You must not use compressed codec for fax over plain audio call (as you have modem/Hydro device connected as well I assume you had disabled all compressed codecs already).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: