Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA112 Provisioning - not working...

makini
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We just purchased an SPA112 unit for testing before a large deployment.

There's a working provisioning setup in place for SPA303 devices using DHCP option 66 with an https URL. The provisioning of SPA303 phones wokrs just fine, SPA112 on the other hand simply won't parse DHCP 66 option properly.

The relevant sniffer output of the SPA112 unit provisioning attemtp with the DHCP 66 URL is attached here, it was tested with firmware 1.0.x (out of box) and after upgrade to 1.2.1 (004).

The clear conclusion is - ATA tries to use the full provisioning URL as a hostname (?!?!) of the provisioning server and resolve it via DNS... e.g. a DNS query for A record of "https://prov.server.com/devconf.cfg" is sent to the DNS server. Protocol name and path to file are not stripped, the whole string is treated as a hostname.

Is this a bug or behavior by design (which is hard to believe)?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

option 66 is standard option "tftp server name".  So it's correct to take it value and resolve it in full.

If a device do other things with such option, then it's SPA303's non-standard extension or bug.

You should use vendor specific DHCP option 160 to push "full url" parameter to device (both SPA303 and SPA112)

Your SPA112 needs to have at least 1.3.1 firmware if you wish to push https://.../... provisioning URL to it via DHCP.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

option 66 is standard option "tftp server name".  So it's correct to take it value and resolve it in full.

If a device do other things with such option, then it's SPA303's non-standard extension or bug.

You should use vendor specific DHCP option 160 to push "full url" parameter to device (both SPA303 and SPA112)

Your SPA112 needs to have at least 1.3.1 firmware if you wish to push https://.../... provisioning URL to it via DHCP.

Thanks Dan,

The 160 option has worked (at least with SPA303). It's a shame to see so little documentation about the specific option to use for that. The provisioning guide briefly mentions option 66, only the default configuration template from the generator shows possible options in xml. No descriptions anywhere for each of those, sure, RFC is a good start but option 160 is a custom vendor option... How is one to know those?

Anyway, thanks a lot!

Nice to hear it helped.

How I discovered it ? The device asked for option 160 in DHCP request. As I didn't know what it is, I used Google. I found description for Cisco's option 160 in I-don't-remember-where document.

Despite of Cisco's documentation which is better than average, such kind of investigation is necesarry unless you are ready to miss some features of device. As far as I know there is no all-in-one-place documentation for many kind of features. There are several undocumented configuration tags, no complete list of supported SIP NOTIFICATIONs, almost no documentation related to secure calls, missing documentation related to device<->PBX state synchronisation (DND, FWD, ...), near-to-nothing documentation of CTI, yes, we have syslog and debug messages, but no documentation about meaning of particular messages (and not every of them is self-describing), and so on, and so on ...

Dan & Community,

You may find the reference document of links useful for locating ATA-related resources.

Use this reference document to locate SPA ATA resources.

Regards,

Patrick---

Yes, I know it. It's great resource. Despite of it, it's hard to found information even in the case the administrator knows what he are looking for.

The main problem is - the documentation is spreaded over so many separate documents, application notes, technical notes, semi-official information in this forum and other resources. In most case, there is lack of information related to particular feature implementations. I wqant to use example to explain what I'm mean.

Have you configured sd+blf+cp function ? Are you interested to know when the button press will invoke 'sd' and when 'cp' ? Do you want to know if sd+blf (but no cp) combination of functions is possible ? Need to use vid=  ? (where you can found such parameter like vid= exists at all  ?) No answers avaiable in Admin Guide and no way to deduce answers by self as there are no implementation details. No reference to other document (not counting the reference to document specific for Broadsoft server). Yes, there may or may not be other document with such detailed description. The unfortunate customer need to read many and many documents and - there may but may not be the one with required description in such list.

The paragraph above show the example of problem only. And note the English is not my native language, so if it sounds so strong, then it's not intentional. I'm not trying to yell "it's crap" in any way. I'm trying to explain, using my poor language skills, the problem with 'task oriented' style of Cisco's documentation. I hope this comment will not be misunderstood.

I'm wishing to see a information-oriented style of documentation. Such kind of documentation is matter of course in the case of Cisco's switches. Especially I'm calling for index of all configuration keywords, with list of all possible values and their meaning, index of SIP NOTIFY Event, list of DHCP options recognized by device (can be time offset set by DHCP instead of provisioning or manual configuration ?) and so on ...

Dan,

You make good points. I've shared your comment with the phone and ATA product managers and the technical writing team.

Thanks for caring enough to express your opinion.

Regards,

Patrick---

Hi Konstantin,

Here's the specifics from page 22 of the ATA Admin Guide [SPA100_AG_OL-25117] in case someone finds this thread via a search engine:

Option 159 Provides a configuration URL to clients that request this

option. An option 159 URL defines the protocol and path

information by using an IP address for clients that cannot

use DNS. For example:

https://10.1.1.1:888/configs/bootstrap.cfg

Option 160 Provides a configuration URL to clients that request this

option. An option 160 URL defines the protocol and path

information by using a fully qualified domain name for

clients that can use DNS. For example:

https://myconfigs.cisco.com:888/configs/bootstrap.cfg

Regards,

Patrick---

Use this reference document to locate SPA ATA resources

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: