cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA122 recurring network disconnects

David H Durgee
Level 1
Level 1

I have a SPA122 supporting my home and business lines.  Recently I have been experiencing problems with loss of connectivity during phone calls.  This is unpredictable and I recently observed the lights on the SPA122 indicating a network disconnect when such problems occur.

Attached please find a display of my status from the SPA122.  I have downloaded the firmware update, but checking the release notes I am unclear if it is appropriate for mine as I see no reference to my serial number.  I have as recommended backed up my configuration, but I am holding up on the firmware update until someone can confirm it is appropriate for my device.

Given the problem I am seeing I am unsure if anything in the update will address this problem.  I assume that enabling logging at the appropriate level might give insight into the reasons for the unexpected network disconnects.  Can anyone tell me which logging I need to activate to help diagnosing this problem?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give me in this.

Dave

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What firmware is the SPA running on?  This issue could be caused by FN - 72345 - SPA112 and SPA122: QuoVadis root CA 2 decommission may cause SIP and HTTPS handshake failure.

If this is the case, there is no way out except to replace SPA 112/122 with an ATA 191/192 with 3PCC/MPP firmware or other brands.

As per the attached SPA122 status report, the SPA122 is currently running firmware 1.4.1 (002) Oct 26 2015 and I have downloaded the updated 1.4.1 SR5 firmware to install once I am sure it is appropriate to do so.

I am not having problems with the SIP connection.  The problem is with the internet connection itself.  When the problem occurs the internet light goes out and any currently in progress calls are in limbo.  Sometimes the connection comes back and the calls can be continued.  Sometimes it does not and I have to restart the SPA122 to get things back in operation.

I have enabled some logging and hope that it captures something that will help diagnose this.  As yet there have been no problems today, but I had multiple difficulties last night.

I have used 1.4.1(002) before and I vividly remember it is not a stable version. 
The (002) means it is a beta version. 

Please do not upgrade to SR5 because it will definitely brick the SPA because it will hit the QuoVadis certificate.  

Use a slightly later version, like SR2 or SR3, and you should avoid the QuoVadis.  

How do you mean the version I am running is unstable?  I am slow to respond here as notice of your reply was spam canned.  Since I last posted I enabled logging on the unit, for errors at the kernel level and warnings at the system level.  I have attached that log, which appears to all be of a particular error.  Since that point I have not seen the problematic dropouts, but perhaps that relates to restarting the unit as well.

I have downloaded SR3 per your recommendation but have not yet installed it.  I assume there are probably actions I should take preparatory to doing so to ensure recovery of settings and possibly firmware if things go wrong.

Given the problem appears to have cleared itself up, at least while I am keeping an eye on it, do you still recommend I upgrade the firmware?

Dave

@David H Durgee wrote:

I have downloaded SR3 per your recommendation but have not yet installed it.  I assume there are probably actions I should take preparatory to doing so to ensure recovery of settings and possibly firmware if things go wrong.

I hate upgrading the SPA because every upgrade will "brick" SPA.  

Backup the config externally, upgrade the firmware and then import the config. 

So an update will lose my current configuration and it will need to be restored from backup?  Ugh.

Now that I have logging on I think I will wait and see what it shows if/when the problem occurs again.  I assume the log will persist over a restart, correct?  If not, I might have a problem as the network connection going down would prevent me from accessing the SPA management console.

@David H Durgee wrote:

So an update will lose my current configuration and it will need to be restored from backup?  Ugh.

Yes.  It is a known "feature". 

NOTE:  It was, originally, classified as a "bug" but it was never fixed so we are now calling it a "feature".  

David H Durgee
Level 1
Level 1

I finally seem to have caught a log over an event with drop-outs during a call.

In the log I see a large number of events in the form of:

"Jul 26 16:01:09 SPA122 kern.err [19752146.464000] voice_kmode_thread(0): sock_sendmsg() failed witherror -101"

In the middle I see:

"Jul 26 16:01:20 SPA122 daemon.err system[1]: notify add wan1 interface(br0)
Jul 26 16:01:20 SPA122 kern.err [19752157.848000] voice_kmode_thread(0): sock_sendmsg() failed witherror -101
Jul 26 16:01:20 SPA122 kern.err [19752157.864000] voice_kmode_thread(0): sock_sendmsg() failed witherror -101
Jul 26 16:01:20 SPA122 daemon.err system[1]: start 0 vlan-id... ok"

Does this shed any light on what is going wrong?  If so, is this something a firmware update will fix?  Does it indicate I have something configured incorrectly?

Dave

David H Durgee
Level 1
Level 1

I just had a thought.  Looking at the log I just posted, does it possibly indicate a problem over a DHCP lease renewal?  If so, would setting a static IP address possibly avoid the problem in the future?

Dave

JamieChaim
Level 1
Level 1

I've downloaded the latest firmware update. However, after checking the release notes, I couldn't find any mention of my SPA122's serial number, making me uncertain about proceeding with the update. I've taken a precaution of backing up my configuration, but I'd greatly appreciate any insights or confirmation on whether the firmware update is suitable for my specific device.

Do not upgrade the firmware of the SPA 112/122!

Inside every update is an expired QuoVadis Root CA 2 certificate and this will render the SPA 112/122 into a brick.  Cisco will not release any patches to fix this because of a convenient excuse that the SPA 112/122 is end-of-life.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: