Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA232D Incomming CID notation

LukaszTJB
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

one of my SIP-Providers uses  the country code for the incomming caller id formated "+49 xxxx xxxxx". On the Display of the SPA-302D it is shown as 49 xxxx xxxxx. This does several issues to me. The CID isn't mapped to a known contact, which is saved without country code and second when some hit redial, on a missed call for example, the number can't be dialed because it's unknown (wrong format).

Is there a way on the SPA232-D to change the notation of incomming CID from +49 xxxx xxxxx to 0xxxx xxxxx?

The Provide is using P-Asserted-Identity in the SIP Header. The From-Part in the Sip-Header is +49 xxxx xxxxx while the E.164 Number of the P-Asserted-Identity part is 49 xxxx xxxxx.

Any help will be appreciated.

Best regards

Lukasz

7 Replies 7

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Dan,

thank you for your reply. It looks like there is no Caller ID Mapping Option available on the spa232d. At least I can't find anything about it in the documentation or in the gui.

So sorry, the SPA50x configuration is very simmilar to SPA1x2/SPA232 thus I assumed it's here. I'm out of my office, so I didn't verified it.

Unfortunately, if there's no Caller ID Mapping option I'm almost sure there's no option for it (with just different name). Thus it seems the SPA232D can't rewrite caller id.

So, what you can do ? The Caller ID Header option define which SIP header should be considered Caller ID source. The default is PAID-RPID-FROM. In your particular case, the P-Asserted-Identity (PAID) header is present, so it's used.  It's why the number in the form of 49 xxxx is shown. You may consider change it to FROM, so the +49 xxxx will be shown instead.

It should solve "redial on missed call issue". I assume your provider accepts international number format even for national call.

It will not solve "CID isn't mapped to a known contact" issue. Contact numbers needs to be stored in same format as provided by provider or it will not work.

No problem - no one can memorize all available options of every device on the market ;-)

I already tried different caller id header options but the notation of the CID stays at 49 xxxx regardless which type I choose.

To solve the "redial on missed call issue" I added (<49:0>xxxxx.) to the Dial Plans.

The challenge now is to find a solution for the CID mappings to the contact. Unfortunately another SIP-Provider which I use, doesn't send country prefixes in the SIP Invite Messages. If I tell my users to save contacts with 49 Country prefix incoming calls  from the 2nd Provide won't be mapped.

I doubt cisco will release a firmware with the caller id map feature. The spa232d is EOS/EOL announced. So probably I have to setup a own sip proxy inside my network. Is it possible to use an ISR G2 as Sip to Sip Proxy and do the modification to the SIP for the Caller ID at this Point? The Setup which I have on my mind would be like this:

SPA232D ---> ISRG2  --> SIP Proxy

Instead of direct register to the SIP Proxy of my provider the registration would be make on the ISR with some internal Numbers / Accounts. The ISR then registered the real SIP Account at the proxy of the provider and act as an intermediate SIP-Proxy doing the necessary modification to the SIP headers.

If this is possible - does anyone has an Example configuration for this scenario? I'm not that much into Voip feature with that devices.

Thanks in advice.

I already tried different caller id header options but the notation of the CID stays at 49 xxxx regardless which type I choose.

'+' character is not number, thus it's questionable the connected phone can accept it as part of number at all.

The challenge now is to find a solution for the CID mappings to the contact.

Well, the phone is just phone. It assume the both numbers are provided in the form suitable for the use.  You have twi providers, with incompatible numbers format, moreover, one of them is using + as part of the number - but such character is unsuitable for analog phones as well as DECT phones.

I have no advice but - use a PBX in-between phone and providers. Asterisk is free and will allow you to manipulate both number formats according your wishes. I have no experience with ISR G2, this I can neither confirm or reject it can be used to modify Caller ID. Well, I assume it have such feature. But I consider UC license expensive for the purpose of just Caller ID modification ...

Hi Dan,

I've set up an Asterisk PBX with pjsip stack in between the SPA232d and my SIP-Providers. It has been a lot of work to get this running but at least I've got all issues fixed. Thanks for the advice.

Best regards

Lukasz

Glad to hear you solved it.

Now you have powerful tool between phone and providers, so you can implement further valuable features according your wishes.