cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA232D Network Connectivity

ian-heath
Level 1
Level 1

I have a SPA232D which I want to connect to a pre-existing SOHO network, I have a  looked at the network interfaces I have a query.

The existing network has a router running NAT.

What I was expecting to be able to do was to simply add this device to my LAN and use my existing router's DHCP server to provide its address (I use DHCP for all my LAN devices, but use reservations to provide consistent addresses).

It seems that it's not possible to configure the SPA 232D to use a DHCP server on its LAN interface.

As I see it I have two options:

1) Connect the SPA232D to my LAN via its Ethernet port and configure a static address

2) Connect the SPA232D to my LAN via its Internet port and use my DHCP server (then also enable "Remote Management" so I can manage the SPA)

Will there be any operational/functional issues with option 2.

Also does the Bridge mode (as opposed to NAT mode) have any significance with either of the two above connectivity options.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Use WAN port of SPA232D with DHCP, leave LAN port unused. Router/Bridge mode is not relevant then, so leave it in default state.

As long as SIP is passing NAT there may be operational/functional issues. It depend on kind of NAT, SIP ALG implemented (or not) on NAT device and overall configuration of both SPA232D as well as remote SIP proxy.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Use WAN port of SPA232D with DHCP, leave LAN port unused. Router/Bridge mode is not relevant then, so leave it in default state.

As long as SIP is passing NAT there may be operational/functional issues. It depend on kind of NAT, SIP ALG implemented (or not) on NAT device and overall configuration of both SPA232D as well as remote SIP proxy.

Glad to hear it helped. Thank for feedback.