cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA3000 bricked? SOS blink code

jjczon001
Level 1
Level 1

Until this week my SPA3000 was working flawless. As raspbx in BeagleBone Black is not longer supported I obtained a Raspberry 3. All I changed in the config was the IP address of the registration server and the password. Unfortunate my ATA never came back from its reboot.

I am able to ping but discovery shows no accesible ports. The status LED blinks SOS.

As it is already an older device all links that I have found to the recovery tool are either linked to sipura.com or linksys.com.

Also on the cisco website the SPA is not even mentioned anymore.

Is there any way to obtain the recovery tool rec3k-02-00-11-gwa? Would that be enough or do I also have to have a version of the latest firmware?

Thanks,

John

6 Replies 6

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are running very historic piece of hardware ...

Read SPA3000 firmware?

Unless the SOS recovery is inside you can try to use Google to found it. Cisco will not help you ...

Well, you may consider to read my S.O.S Firmware Recovery Protocol Specification and implement required utility by self ...

Thanks i quickly read your SOS recovery story. As I understand correctly I would be able to restore the device with the firmware I just downloaded and a TFTP server?

Such protocol order phone to download casual *.bin style of firmware from tftp.

Well, I never meet SPA3000, but yes, I assume the SOS recover procedure is the same even for it.

I installed a trip server and directly connected the SPA3000 to my laptop so I could see with WireShark what was going on.

I didn't see any TFTP request but only ARP request for 193.168.1.64 coming from the SPA. After I changed my laptop's IP-address to that I saw TFTP message. Unfortunate it is asking for a different file than what was in the firmware download.

Don't know if it will be as simple as renaming the file. Will Google first before I try, but at this moment I have not much to loose.

Now that I look at it don't know if it is a standard firmware file it is asking for.

In WireShark I see that the SPA is asking for spa379c.bi1. So not a bin file.

Afraid have some more googling to do in the deep darkness of shutdown websites.. Or start looking for a replacement.

I have not much to loose.

I would like to say so. Rename the .bin you have to spa379c.bi1 and allow SPA3000 to try it. It may not work, even worse, it may definitely brick your device, but it's a chance. Good luck ;-)