Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA302 /SPA232 and UC500

Hello,

will the SPA302D - SPA232D officially supported with the UC500 Series? If yes, for when is the IOS update planned?

best regards

Christian

- Please rate helpful posts -
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I agree there are many examples of Cisco changing the product scope, IMHO way too many examples, I can name a bunch. The pitfalls of having competing product development teams and no true unified voice strategy in the small business marketplace.

I push the Cisco product line over others, however as a former Product Manager for folks like Sun and Peoplesoft,  it escapes me how Cisco can release products and not have a roadmap to support those products on platforms that clearly can support them, what further exaprates the problem is the compitition does have similar products at a price point Small Business can afford, wheras with Cisco, to get a wireless phone that is "supported" the list price starts at 675.00 per handset plus adquate wirelss infrastructure, which puts it out of range of most all small businesses.  Try telling a Client to spend $3000-$4000 to add 4 wirelsss handsets and 3 APs to support them, not including labor that's not gonna happen.

As a note I do have the SPA302D - SPA232D running on UC540/560 with voicemail, mwi etc, so it works,  as does other ATA's from Cisco. just not supported under CCA.

Also curious is the fact that CCA sees the SPA232D in the topology and you can try to add it, (does not throw an error when adding, and add item is not grayed out as others are like the ISA570W)  but of course the underlying code in CCA is not there to actually support the config so it just opens the Users and Teleophony panel and does nothing...

Too bad Cisco seems short sighted in this market segment as it is a growing area, as small business is using old infrstructure and are upgrading as the economy is picking up.

While I am at it it,  I also sell hosted phones solutions and the big hosted providers take 6 months or more to add a new devices to there supported list of devices, and all have added somes sort of  SIP/DECT wireless products (Panasonic comes to mind) That being said they have little motivation to add the SPA232D, unless there is a major demand or gap in there offerings,  point in case, one provider has not added the SPA514G, as a competing product with GB interfaces is already supported.

-Mark

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30

nseto
Level 6
Level 6

There are no plans at this time to support it with UC500.

Hi,

It is not supported or is not supported using CCA?

Then, what ATA´s are officially supported with UC500?

Not supported.  No other ata's from the SPA line as well.

So in 2011 the SBCS roadmap showed Project PAYTON as being supported on the UC500 and UC320 product line, here's the link

http://www.ciscoevents.hu/smb/webexeloadasok/archivum/doc/SBCS%20-%20News%20and%20Roadmap.pdf

Cisco needs to support this as promised ,   CCA TEAM!

Hi Mark,

Whenever a Future Products roadmap is presented. We clearly highlight the following statement:

“Many of the products and features described herein remain in varying stages of development and will be offered on a

when-and-if-available basis.  This roadmap is subject to change at the sole discretion of Cisco, and Cisco

will have no liability for delay in the delivery or failure to deliver any of the products or features set forth in this document.”

This is one example, of Cisco changing the product scope.

Regards,
Cindy Toy
Cisco Small Business Community Manager
for Cisco Small Business Products
www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport
twitter: CiscoSBsupport

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!

I agree there are many examples of Cisco changing the product scope, IMHO way too many examples, I can name a bunch. The pitfalls of having competing product development teams and no true unified voice strategy in the small business marketplace.

I push the Cisco product line over others, however as a former Product Manager for folks like Sun and Peoplesoft,  it escapes me how Cisco can release products and not have a roadmap to support those products on platforms that clearly can support them, what further exaprates the problem is the compitition does have similar products at a price point Small Business can afford, wheras with Cisco, to get a wireless phone that is "supported" the list price starts at 675.00 per handset plus adquate wirelss infrastructure, which puts it out of range of most all small businesses.  Try telling a Client to spend $3000-$4000 to add 4 wirelsss handsets and 3 APs to support them, not including labor that's not gonna happen.

As a note I do have the SPA302D - SPA232D running on UC540/560 with voicemail, mwi etc, so it works,  as does other ATA's from Cisco. just not supported under CCA.

Also curious is the fact that CCA sees the SPA232D in the topology and you can try to add it, (does not throw an error when adding, and add item is not grayed out as others are like the ISA570W)  but of course the underlying code in CCA is not there to actually support the config so it just opens the Users and Teleophony panel and does nothing...

Too bad Cisco seems short sighted in this market segment as it is a growing area, as small business is using old infrstructure and are upgrading as the economy is picking up.

While I am at it it,  I also sell hosted phones solutions and the big hosted providers take 6 months or more to add a new devices to there supported list of devices, and all have added somes sort of  SIP/DECT wireless products (Panasonic comes to mind) That being said they have little motivation to add the SPA232D, unless there is a major demand or gap in there offerings,  point in case, one provider has not added the SPA514G, as a competing product with GB interfaces is already supported.

-Mark

Cindy,

Can you then have your advertising people informed of these facts!

If you follow the Cisco UC320W web page it links to the SPA3x web pages, and the clear implication is that the SPA30x range is interoperaple with the UC320W!  Its takes an amount of rooting around to land at the fact they are not!

So I am about to do a return [and hopefulyget full refund] on two and the SPA232D.

Even my VOIP kit supplier has now updated their web site to now reflect this fact.

This is poor on many levels, the lack of interoperabiloty and the lack of clear guidance.

I expect more from Cisco on many levels - you [Cisco] need to lift your game, or I'll be recommending we [and others] move away.

With disapointment,

Peter

Hi Peter,

My apologies, of the confusion I will inform our marketing team.

Regards,
Cindy Toy
Cisco Small Business Community Manager
for Cisco Small Business Products
www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport
twitter: CiscoSBsupport

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!

Two years passed. Even now the products page claim

The system is flexible enough to support a wide choice of Cisco SPA Series IP phones

Where Cisco SPA Series IP phones is the page dedicated to both IP phones and ATA gateways. There is attempt to clarify rather fuzzy term "wide choice" later on the page:

Support for Cisco SPA300 and SPA500 Series IP Phones

Unfortunately, the sentence lack the important word "only" so the product page is still misleading.

As UC320W entered EOL phase of the lifetime, it's no reason to modify the page just now. It needs to be considered enlightenment. Linksys division has been sold. Core "Cisco" company seems no to have clear roadmap for SMB Voice. Their activities in this segment are rather chaotic. Bugs are not solved in reasonable time frame. It apply to firmware bugs as well as to misleading product page.

I'm big fan of Cisco's SMB Voice, but it seems that Cisco is going to prepare to lay rest this product line.

It's sad really.  For the smallest businesses I now recommend RingCentral, then for bigger ones it's either 3CX or a Grandstream VoIP system.  I sure do miss those UC300s and UC500s though!

Cisco ist now going into the SMB market with the BE6000 Small. At first glance it looks like a good product because it's based on CUCM.

Unfortunately all current UC300 and UC500 customers can't upgrade easily because SPA phones are not supported on CUCM. I hope Cisco bring out some really good migration program for this customers.

But even this makes it not much better for customers, I mean most of the UC300/UC500 installation are only three years old and now they should replace everything, the PBX(Router) and the Phones.

- Please rate helpful posts -

Well, so count.

PAP2T has been discontinued despite it's replacement, SPA112 has been in early beta-testing phase, not suitable for serious deployment. Deployment-ready SPA112 has been available about 12 month past EOS date of PAP2T. Customers with no PAP2T in stock has been in big troubles.

UC300 has been discontinued. SPA300/SPA500 phones are unsupported on so called replacement (BE6000) despite they are still in production.

And don't forget the CSC forum itself (this forum). The former CSC has been discontinued despite the new has not been ready for deployment and there has been pile of bugs discovered during beta-testing phase. Even now, the 12 months past the big bang, there are severe unsolved bugs, including those related to basic functionality of product.

Are we speaking about Chinese garage company or so ?

Should I can advise my customer to trust Cisco ? Will you advise your customer to throw its current UC320/SPA500 and rebuild its phone network from scratch using the product of the day ? It seems that Cisco is ready to jettison their existing customer anytime.

I agree.  The UC320 was a pretty slick little box - I liked it a lot and I'm fairly certain I could sell them all day and save customers money compared to comparably-sized and -featured systems.  Oh well.

The SBCS on the other hand - not all that great.  Feature- and price-wise yes, it was amazing but the mandatory use of CCA made it a huge PITA.  If Cisco would just make an ISR G2 bundle (with special firmware to support SPA phones) with SMB-appropriate pricing that could be a good migration path off the older SMB phone systems.

We decided not to use CUCM few years ago. We are focused on security and reliability and we are not willing to depend on Cisco goodwill. We are using SPA50x phones with Asterisk instead. Not because it is free but because we have source code and the communication protocol is documented. So ...

1. We can evaluate risks. It's not possible with Cisco's blackbox device and proprietary protocol in full.
  2. We can patch (security) bugs even the same day if necessary.
  3. We don't care the Cisco decided not to support SPA phones with future version of CUCM.

The latest Cisco decision related to CUCM seems do confirm we made prudent decision in the past.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: