Views
Helpful
Replies

WRP400 stops responding after browsing certain websites

rgp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi support

We are a danish ISP who use Linksys RTP300 and WRP400 routers as CPE equitment. Trough our Danish Cisco contact (Henrik Bønnelycke) we have been told to discuss our prolems with the WRP400 router here.

Our problem is that the router seems quite unstable at many customers (who have no problem with RTP300). In the last few months we have been forced to replace a large amount of routes because the WRP400 just router stops responding (Cannot ping LAN+WAN interface, phone dead) while browsing certain websites fx. http://www.nordjyske.dk. At the time we are not able to repoduce the error here i the office and the problem are only at some customers.

At the begining we testet if the customers NIC was the source to the failure but as I see it it is not the case. We have tryid to exchange the customers NIS card and the problem was the same. Together with the fact that it works with a RTP300 router we must conclude something must be wrong with the WRP400.

From my point of view the problem could be related to the router content filter, activex filter or something like that when all the customers all have the problem on certain websites.

Please help we replaces 10-20 WRP400 routes every week right now and have no faith let for the WRP400 router.

Danmark.

René Gjerlev Pedersen

Driftstekniker

Bredbåndnord I/S

218 Replies 218

I have a case open now which is 615767987.  We recently noticed a new problem with our wrp400.  Most of our customers with the wrp400 are on cable internet.  We found that when a DHCP NAK message is sent to the wrp, the box will reset, resync and reregister which causes a disconnect to the customer.  We noticed this due to a customer having a 1hour DHCP lease time.  We resale the cable internet therefore we have no access to the DHCP server.  I will probably open a new case for this but if someone has any idea on how to fix this, this would be great.

Thanks

Gerard

Thank you, Gerard.

I threw mine away and got a different product. This is ridiculous.

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 11:34 AM, streaves <

I tried to report my issue with the warranty support but it is really difficult to find the right

way into the right point. I never succeded. I live in Denmark so to call is

also very difficullt because of time difference.

IT is easier to have it replaced with another product.

rpingar
Level 1
Level 1

I found another issue on firmware 2.00.20:

- on a pppoe connection changing wireless encryption algo from TKIP (or TKIP+AES) to AES the router starts to reboot continuosly.

only a power cycle clear the problem.

regards

Ros

almogaver
Level 1
Level 1

Just registered to say that the same issues described in this post have been plaguing my WRP400 for months. I got one sent back and replaced within the warranty period only to find the same reliability issues. Several reboots a week are necessary, sometimes several reboots a day. I have tried all the firmwares under the sun including ancient ones suggested in this thread to no avail.

What annoys me is that Cisco have gone out of their way to stop this device from being opened up. Personally I am never buying a closed device again. At least if we can go in and hack it we have some chance of fixing it. Several open source projects out there are offering much more reliable router firmware than what Cisco's proprietary model has been able to offer for the year and a half or so this thread has been running.

Will try the suggested restrict IP settings and this new beta firmware. Couldn't be any worse than what I have.

rpingar
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Lance Harper,

why the spc utility was not released about 2.00.20?

How can I  apply the modification (about the restrict ip) to the thousand of my clients using wrp400?????????

This kind of thing pushes all of us to think that CISCO and all of you are not thinking seriously about this product.

regards

Ros

laharper
Community Member

Dear Sir,

We will generate the SPC Tools to correspond with the same version release number as v2.00.20 of the WRP400 firmware and post on our website.

It is possible for immediacy sake, to use v2.00.05 of the SPC Tools with v2.00.20 of the WRP400 firmware because this release specifically addresses improving the stability and quality issues and no new provisioning parameters were introduced.

Sincerely,

Lance Harper

Cisco SBTG Product Manager

danoyoung
Level 1
Level 1

I got tired of waiting for nothing to happen and threw the unit away.  Cisco really sucks on this one...

laharper
Community Member

Dear WRP400 Customers,

The WRP400 Product Team have been working closely with Service Providers over the past few months to address the issues that many WRP400 customers have been experiencing and posting on this Forum.  It took much longer than expected, and after months of testing and optimizing the firmware, we released v2.00.20 and posted it on our web site in September 2010.

However, an increase in SIP attacks across the Internet appears to be affecting the WRP400 in which the device is overwhelmed by malicious SIP requests.  Our Cisco Support Team has recommended users to enable the “RESTRICT SOURCE IP” and “AUTH INVITE” settings on the WRP400.  For some WRP400 users, enabling these settings resolved the issue.

Even so, we still receive reports regarding this specific issue with the WRP400 and have created a beta version of firmware which further improves on how the WRP400 handles malicious SIP request.

The latest WRP400 beta firmware is now available to our customers and can be obtained by contacting our Small Business Support Center at 1-866-606-1866.

Please note that this firmware has not fully undergone QA Testing from Cisco and we do not recommend deploying this firmware in a commercial environment until our testing is complete.  We would appreciate your feedback on the results of your tests so that we can continue to improve the firmware for the WRP400.

Information on the “RESTRICT SOURCE IP” setting can be found at the following location:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13555

The WRP400 Product Team is truly committed to this Product and we will work diligently to resolve this issue.

Sincerely,

Lance Harper

Cisco SBTG Product Manager

In a real world environment with three wireless users, and only using the WRP400 as a router/access point (no VOIP yet and using the beta firmware), I found it took three days for the router to go from full speed on a 15Mbps cable connection to only delivering less than 1Mbps down when using speedtest.net.  A reboot was required to bring the full cable modem speed back.

Hi,

if I set “AUTH INVITE” to Yes, my customers (with a wrp400) cannot receive incoming calls.

thank you

Yes, I had the same symptoms with my WRP400 when this option was "ON". The telephone was normally ringing, but after answering the call I was not heard anything. Making connections works normally.

First option recommended by Cisco Support Team (enable the “RESTRICT SOURCE IP") for me solving problem. My router working three weeks without any problems.

I've same problem: 'AUTH INVITE' is blocking receiving calls, my provider claims that because platform isn't configured to authenticate itself on device.

Anyway I've turned on Auth invite for a week and router was working perfectly, except that I've to check who was trying to call me...

With only 'RESTRICT SOURCE IP' on I still have to restart router from time to time.

I've set RESTRICT SOURCE IP and changed default SIP Port: (Line 1/SIP Settings) to quite different and now router is stable (2 weeks without restarts)