cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber Bot - Rich text messages appear as blank/empty messages on Jabber Mobile

someonelikeTIM
Level 1
Level 1

Rich text messages sent from bots (botkit) appear as blank/empty messages on Jabber Mobile.

ssjabber.PNG

This happens even if I strip out all the formatting (buttons, forms, etc.) and build the stanza in the most basic form:

reply_message.stanza = xml `<message to="${to}" type="${type}"><html xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/xhtml-im"><body xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">Test message.</body></html></message>`;  

This is a huge issue as it breaks the bot ux on mobile and takes Cisco Jabber out of the running as a viable chatbot solution.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have found a partial solution.

The first <body> tag in the stanza is the message text that goes to mobile. If this is section is omitted or blank the message will appear blank on mobile. **If it contains any markup it will throw an xml parser error so it has to be plain text.** As long as there is text in the first body field, the button will appear on mobile. But as @dstaudt mentioned, the button text is "OK" and this cannot be changed. Also, if the message has multiple buttons, only the first will show.

asdf.PNG

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am able to get this working on Jabber for Android, a couple of things to check:

- Using Jabber for Android version 12.6+

- There is a new config item to white-list bot accounts for advanced UI features: <AdminConfigureBot>.  This needs to be present in your device's jabber-config.xml file with a semi-colon separated list of approved bots:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<config version="1.7">
	<options>
		<AdminConfiguredBot>mybot@ds-cup11-5.cisco.com</AdminConfiguredBot>
	</options>
</config>

Thanks for the response. The xml had already been configured with <AdminConfiguredBot> when I first reported the issue. I have double checked and the xml is still properly configured. Any other ideas?

During testing I found that I had to restart the CUCM TFTP server to get the jabber-config.xml to actually update...it also took several minutes before it took effect.  You should see an automatically created '_bots' group listing your bot on the Jabber client.

If all of the above is ok on Jabber 12.6+, may need to open a DevNet ticket for further troubleshooting (follow 'contact us' steps): https://developer.cisco.com/site/support/

Yep I had already bounced tftp and verified I got "_BotGroup" in the client. I will try a DevNet ticket to look into this further. Thanks for your help.

One thing that tripped me up (maybe its changed recently, or I hadn't tried it on Android in a while), but if I send a complex/form UI message back (e.g. the robot-submit function from the Botkit sample), all you see initially is an 'OK' button (and the non-HTML <body> of the stanza, if any) - you have to click that to then see the full UI/form ...

I have found a partial solution.

The first <body> tag in the stanza is the message text that goes to mobile. If this is section is omitted or blank the message will appear blank on mobile. **If it contains any markup it will throw an xml parser error so it has to be plain text.** As long as there is text in the first body field, the button will appear on mobile. But as @dstaudt mentioned, the button text is "OK" and this cannot be changed. Also, if the message has multiple buttons, only the first will show.

asdf.PNG

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: