Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Guest link from iOS Google Search App

brian1mcc
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I've noticed that opening a jabber guest link in the google search app on iOS devices, always redirects you to the App Store (even after the app is installed). Is this a known issue (I can't see any bug for it)? It works fine on the android version of the google search app.

Thanks,

Brian

5 Replies 5

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not aware of any known issues with this...are you trying to get it to open the stand-alone Jabber Guest Android client?  If so, then this may be an issue that needs to be addressed in the JG client.

If you're trying to get it to launch a custom app into which you've embedded Jabber Guest components, then you may need to register that app to handle the JG protocol handler in your own code...

We’re just using a simple <a href= ... link in our html code to our JG link e.g https://test.abc.com/call/12345

This works fine using chrome or safari in iOS, you are redirected to the app store the first time, then once installed the app launches automatically. When using the google search app as a browser, and we hit the same link, we are redirected to the App Store even though the JG app is already Installed.

Just typing a known JG URL (https://jabberguestsandbox.cisco.com/call/5555) into the Android Chrome browser seems to work for me  - it launches the JG Android client.  You didn't mention if the URL embedded in an HTML page being viewed via the regular browser works for you..?

AFAIK Google Search tends to mangle the URLs of links returned by the search - perhaps something with Google Search is interfering..?  Maybe if you long-press+copy on the URL in the search results in paste it somewhere (text editor), will show that the URL is not what you are expecting...

The google search app on iOS is the only browser where this happens. Chrome, safari and even the android google search app all work fine.

If I copy the link thats opened in the google search app, and paste it in to safari it works!

Very odd...definitely sounds like something different is happening when launching from the Search app.  Any way you could provide a screen capture or some other way to view/reproduce what you're seeing?

My recommendation would be to go ahead and open a ticket wit DevNet Developer Support, so they can escalate to the Jabber Guest engineering team for detailed troubleshooting (and possibly a workaround or fix.)

Cisco DevNet: DevNet Developer Support