Replies

Not able to send a message through XMPP IM URL

jalladi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to send a message through XMPP IM URL like below:

xmpp:abc@cisco.com?message;body=Hello

But it is not sending message and opening a chat window with abc@cisco.com?message.

xmpp:abc@cisco.com is opening a chat window properly. But it is not sending message.

Please guide me on how to send message using XMPP URL.

Thanks,

Jayasree

4 Replies 4

Geevarghese Cheria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jayasree,

What are you using to execute the URI, and what behavior are you expecting?

When I put the URL xmpp:user@domain.com?message;body=Testing%20One%20Two%20Three, it opens a Jabber window and places the text in the message area.  Is that what you are looking for?

This only works for me in Firefox and Internet Explorer, though.  It doesn't work in Chrome, although that may be because I'm using the development branch of Chrome.

Thanks,

Nicholas

PS EDIT:  It only seems to work with Jabber 10.5, not 9.2.7 and below. 

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For the benefit of other forum readers:  We're addressing this in a support ticket.  I'll post the results here when we have them. 

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Results: 

The XEP-0147 query spec is supported in Jabber 10.5.  It opens the Jabber message window and populates the message area with the message you specify in the URI.  It does not send the message automatically, which is the desired behavior. That may be counter-intuitive, but consider the consequences of having it send the message automatically.  If it sent the message, anyone could design a web page with links that send Jabber messages on your behalf without your intervention. (Could lead to embarrassing situations, no?)

You can write CAXL applications to send messages automatically.  Since the CAXL web application needs to perform authentication (username, password), you can't really be tricked into sending messages without intervention.