Views
Helpful
Replies

APIC-EM C220M4 LACP Query

michael.taylor
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Fellow Networkers,

We are rebuilding a three appliance cluster operating APIC-EM Version 1.6.0.30151 and need clarification on the wisdom of my actions.

During the GUI install I did not assign an VLAN ID to bond0 VNIC 1 (management interface) of a LACP bonded pair of Gigabit ports, but did assign IP addressing.  We assigned VLAN 888 to a bond0: Virtual NIC2 and populated with an accessible range of addresses.  Following completion we can fully manage the appliance via bond:0 VNIC 2, but have no access to bond0: VNIC 1 IP range.  I have tried setting the native VLAN on the neighbouring switch trunk port but I’m not seeing any MACs other than that associated with bond0: VNIC2 (VLAN 888).

What’s the recommended corrective action other than a “config_wizard”?

Pearls of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticpation.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

michael.taylor
Level 1
Level 1

OK school boy error fixed by adding the native vlan to the trunk allowed VLANs; however, a question remains.

Addition of adding multiple virtual interfaces to the LAG is optional; indeed, only one IP interface can host a Default Gateway.  So assuming that the southbound interface has to be routable what is the point of adding a non-routable management interface akin to a Wireless LAN Controller Service Port?

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

michael.taylor
Level 1
Level 1

OK school boy error fixed by adding the native vlan to the trunk allowed VLANs; however, a question remains.

Addition of adding multiple virtual interfaces to the LAG is optional; indeed, only one IP interface can host a Default Gateway.  So assuming that the southbound interface has to be routable what is the point of adding a non-routable management interface akin to a Wireless LAN Controller Service Port?

I think your question is about why multiple interfaces, if only one has a default route?

Let me give you my deployment (albeit with two physical interfaces, but same concept applies).

I have an "external" management network that connects to external services like HTTP/CCO etc.  This is also the interface that the HTTP user comes in on.  You can think of this as the "northbound".  This interface needs a default route as it is going to CCO for applications like Active advisor/maps etc.

All of the devices in my lab are accessible via a "private" southbound interface.   These IP addresses are well known, so I have a static route to get to these well-defined management IP addresses for my network devices.

This is a common approach where people will generally not allow general access to the management network for their devices.

Adam