Views
Helpful
Replies

APIC-EM Demo installation

jboga
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

I've been trying to install APIC-EM v1.2 with 16 GBs of RAM for demo purposes. However, it fails trying to initialize the Grapevine services.

Anybody else with that problem?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Actually Joe the LAB version is shipping 1.2.  It only requires 16G..  however:

we are about to change the release notes slightly.

a lab version requires anything from 16-24G.

If your disk performance is not good, you should opt for more RAM.

Ideally you should use 24G, but there is a slight bug at present (1000^3 < 1024^3) so max you can use is 22G

See how you go with 22G.

Just to be clear, this is not a different image, it is the same code, it just detects the limited RAM and boots in lab mode.  all services work, but only 20 devices are supported.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Anyone trying that should, Jose :-).  You need a minimum of 40 GB.  I have this working at home, and I am able to use all of the features with my small four-node network.

Actually Joe the LAB version is shipping 1.2.  It only requires 16G..  however:

we are about to change the release notes slightly.

a lab version requires anything from 16-24G.

If your disk performance is not good, you should opt for more RAM.

Ideally you should use 24G, but there is a slight bug at present (1000^3 < 1024^3) so max you can use is 22G

See how you go with 22G.

Just to be clear, this is not a different image, it is the same code, it just detects the limited RAM and boots in lab mode.  all services work, but only 20 devices are supported.

Cool!  Last time I tried with 16 GB, it did what Jose describes (Grapevine services didn't fully start).  I've always had luck with 40 GB, but maybe I'll try out a 22 GB build.

The 22 GBs installation didn't work but the disks in that server are really slow. For the moment, we went with the 64 GBs installation. As soon as we can, we'll try to do installations with lower memory settings and share our results.

You may not want to waste your time, but I'd be curious to know if you can make it work with 40 GB (instead of the full 64).  I have "meh" disks, and 40 is working fine for me in my lab.

you might find that does not work with 1.2.

There is a check with three thresholds:

Cisco APIC-EM will discover your host's available memory during the deployment process and will provide the following responses and options:

• When deploying the controller on a host with 64 GB or more of memory (meets the memory requirements), the configuration wizard will proceed with the installation.
  • When deploying the controller on a host with 25 to 64 GB of memory, you are prompted to add another host or increase memory on the host to meet the requirements.
  • When deploying the controller on a host with 16 to 25 GB or memory, you are prompted to install a low-memory, evaluation version of the controller.
  • When deploying the controller on a host with less than 16 GB of memory, you are prompted to add more memory and cannot proceed with the installation.

@aradford Hi, when you say only 20 devices are supported, does this include the PnP cababilities? Will it stop pushing configurations out after it's provisioned 20 devices?

Hi Rob,

technically no.  The only complication is that part of the PnP process is to add the device to the inventory.

That is when you might have issues.  

The best option would be to delete the device from inventory once it has been provisioned by PnP.

there is no "hard limit" on the number of PnP configurations you can make.

ok, thanks.

Do you know if the PnP capabilities might ever be siphoned off APIC-EM as a standalone product/service, as this is the only capability of the APIC that we need and it would be good to be able to run PnP separately on lower end hardware?

PI is moving towards using APIC-EM as the PnP engine.  Today you can use PI standalone, but long term direction will be to have APIC-EM as the "universal PnP engine".  It will be optimised...

stay tuned on that request... sounds like a good idea :-)

jboga
Level 5
Level 5

Thank you.

I'll try to do the installation today with 22 GBs. If I manage to do it, I'll let you know.

let us know.  probably easier than getting faster disk :-)

200M is the disk IO that APIC-EM specs, if you have significantly less than that, you will need more RAM.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

This community is intended for developer topics around Data Center technology and products. If you are looking for a non-developer topic about Data Center, you might find additional information in the Data Center and Cloud community