Views
Helpful
Replies

APIC-EM PnP Questions and help to migrate from CNS

andy.dickinson
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

We currently use PI3.1 and CNS to bootstrap and provision devices by creating a generic PnP Profile without a serial number.

This works really well and we are able to zero touch provision around 20-30 devices per week (800 series, ISR G2, ISR4K, CAT 3650, ME3400) however....

We need to upgrade to PI3.2 and this means we can no longer use CNS and will need to migrate to APIC-EM, so we are currently testing this and are having mixed results.

If we have a device which reaches the "UNCLAIMED" state in APIC-EM PnP, we push out a base template using the API, add the device to Prime and can then provision using Prime templates, but this seems to be unreliable.

I have some questions;

1. Is there a way to create a generic PI profile for APIC-EM without serial numbers being pre-populated in the same way we did for CNS (we don't know the serial numbers prior to shipment)

2. We auto-deply a number of Metro Ethernet switch (ME3400), but these do not support PnP - is this likeley to change?

3. PnP using DHCP works well, however when we try to create a bootstrap using PnP in order for devices to call in over a subscriber ADSL service it requires us to use an EEM script to add the PnP profile after connecting to the network. Is there a documented/reccomended method to create/install a bootstrap for pre-installation on routers? (mainly 800 series)

4. Is there any documentation to explain how to create PKI certificate chains for the device bootstrap?

5. Is there any way to speed up the PnP process? It takes between 8 and 10 minutes after restart for a device to reach the "UNCLAMED" state

For info I am testing with PI3.2 and APIC-EM 1.5.0.1368

Thanks,

Andy

0 Replies 0