Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot delete device

tyhill2014
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an APIC-EM server running 1.6.0.30151. I provisioned a switch successfully, so I deleted the device from Devices window. Now when I go back into projects to add the device back in, I get an error saying that the device cannot be added to the project because it is already linked to a rule.

The switch is not in the inventory list and using the API functions, it is not found in the inventory. How do I remove this switch so that I can provision is again?

Thank you

Ty

4 Replies 4

tyhill2014
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All,

After further digging into this issue, I was finally able to get this device deleted. Here is how I did it.

I used the API Delete pnp-device/"device-id". Once I ran this using Postman, the switch is now deleted from the database.

Ty

steffenwebb
Level 4
Level 4

I have also seen this issue in version 1.5 with another error message.

"Unale to create rule because theres a device with matching serial number xxxxxx in provisioning state (PROVISIONED)"

Must be a bug that continues to live...

-Steffen

Same on APIC-EM 1.5.0.1368. When I delete the device using GUI/API, it's no longer in APIC (not possible to find it in GUI for sure), but I can't create a new PnP request for the same device. I get an error: "Unable to create rule because there's device with matching serial number XXX"

Not sure if this is a feature, but I've found devices that started to provision in /pnp-device in addition to /pnp-project/<id>/device list. So as soon as device contacts APIC-EM, the second record in /pnp-device is created. If you delete both records, e.g. by serial number, there is no more issue. So I just had to alter the "delete" procedure a litte. Hope, this helps.

by any chance you have an example syntax of your altered delete procedure / script? thanks in advance

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

This community is intended for developer topics around Data Center technology and products. If you are looking for a non-developer topic about Data Center, you might find additional information in the Data Center and Cloud community