cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Config deployment through PI3.1 API

Ben Clifton
Level 1
Level 1

I'm attempting to use the cisco Prime infrastructure API to log config deployment jobs through “PUT cliTemplateConfiguration/deployTemplateThroughJob"

We have this working just fine, jobs can be raised via the API and they are applied successfully.

But we’re seeing two issues:

1) The jobs have no details in them, so we cannot see what config was applied:

PI3.1 configdeploy issue1.png

2) When we turn on ‘job approval’ for this job type; after approving the job we get a message saying it has already expired. This happens no matter how quickly we approve the job:

PI3.1 configdeploy issue2.jpg

Deploying this CLI template through the GUI has no issues. We can see all the details of the job i.e. the config that is applied to the switch.

Does anyone have any experience with applying a user defined CLI template through this API call?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Spencer Zier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'd suggest checking out Adam's blog on this (see his post in this thread) because he does a good job of walking through the whole workflow.  We initially designed this API service for an API only workflow, that said, in Prime Infrastructure 3.2 you will be able to see the results of this (and other API initiated jobs) via the job dashboard in the UI.

In the meanwhile, I'll look into the job approval issue.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

aradford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ben,

I have seen the same issue and raised it with engineering.  I use a REST API to see the results of the job today.  My blog series goes into some details of the API calls to get the results.

Template based provisioning with Cisco Prime Infrastructure – Part 1

Hope this helps a little.

Adam

Spencer Zier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'd suggest checking out Adam's blog on this (see his post in this thread) because he does a good job of walking through the whole workflow.  We initially designed this API service for an API only workflow, that said, in Prime Infrastructure 3.2 you will be able to see the results of this (and other API initiated jobs) via the job dashboard in the UI.

In the meanwhile, I'll look into the job approval issue.

Okay, there does seem to be problems when job approval is enabled and API job types are in the list that require approval.  For now, please disable job approval or remove the API job types from the list of job types that require approval.  I've created CSCvb52762 to cover this issue.  It will not be visible immediately, but within 24 hours or so it should be accessible via Bug Search.

Hi Spencer, thanks very much for the update and for raising the bug on our behalf.

The intention for us was to expose this API to another team so they could raise config jobs to Prime and we could simply review and then schedule the implementation during a change window.

For now we'll put a pin in it and look to trying this again in Prime 3.2.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: