cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Level 0.1 question on API and Shut/No Shut calls

d-hoyer
Level 1
Level 1

Allright, first, I am brand new to Devnet. I am looking for a starting point and a direction to follow. E.g: Level 0.1 knowledge.

I have played with the restconf and the netconf APIs on the 9300 series switches and I am starting to understand their capabilities. However, I am also starting to think that this is an impractical way to manage port resets to reboot PoE equipment. I have ISE and DNA and I think there may be a better way using ISE to do what I want.

The scenario: I have a piece of equipment (Digi USB Anywhere) that randomly just stops talking on the network. The only solution to this so far is to reboot the device. I have added PoE splitters to power the devices and now I am using them to reboot these devices. The process is manual. Get the site, log into the switch, shut/no shut the port. 

After playing with the restconf APIs I discovered that I could just use an API call to do this. What I am wondering, and since I am brand new at this, without having to dig into it too deeply is; Is there a better way to do this? I am hoping for suggestions, ways to secure credentials, possible courses, and reading material to better understand the technology I already have.

Thanks for any help provided! Please don't flame me too badly for being a noob at all of this   

Dan

2 Replies 2

Alex Stevenson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello @d-hoyer,

We’re glad you’re enjoying your network programmability and automation journey. I’ve listed some resources below, which should give you some good practice and experience. Because you have access to a 9000 series switch, I’ll list resources based on that device series:

Hope this helps!

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@d-hoyer 

All sorted?

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

This community is intended for developer topics around Data Center technology and products. If you are looking for a non-developer topic about Data Center, you might find additional information in the Data Center and Cloud community