Views
Helpful
Replies

PnP device reset

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

During some test deplyments I noticed some odd behaviour of the 'reset' button which can be used on devices listed under projects.

With one project some switches were failing during the image deployment, the device would transition into an 'Error' state. Selecting the device and clicking the reset button would reload the device and it would start the PnP sequence again. This is the behaviour I would expect.

OK, so still using the same project, I notice that there is a peice of config missing from the configration files I am using. I upload the new configuration files, select a device which is in the 'Provisioned' state, click reset, APIC-EM lists it as 'Pending', but the switch is never reloaded. This is not the behaviour I expect. I have to manually log onto the device and issue a reload command.

This the above behaviour by design, a failsafe against reloading devices considered in production?

cheers,

Seb.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

aradford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Seb,

that is the designed behaviour.

The reason is that the deployed device is in production, so it is assumed you will have access to it if it needs to be reset.

Error devices will likely not have a config on them, so you have no external way of connecting to them apart from the console.  The agent on the device will reset as instructed by the controller when you reset the rule.

That way the PnP process can begin again.

Adam

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

aradford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Seb,

that is the designed behaviour.

The reason is that the deployed device is in production, so it is assumed you will have access to it if it needs to be reset.

Error devices will likely not have a config on them, so you have no external way of connecting to them apart from the console.  The agent on the device will reset as instructed by the controller when you reset the rule.

That way the PnP process can begin again.

Adam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

This community is intended for developer topics around Data Center technology and products. If you are looking for a non-developer topic about Data Center, you might find additional information in the Data Center and Cloud community