cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to Log-in to APIC-EM - after I enter the credentials get stuck loading

Dneriali
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello, I installed the APIC-EM v1.2 on a VM.

I got up and running the ui, reverse proxy & router services from the grapevine console.

when I try to login to the APIC-EM I enter the credentials in the APIC-EM login page and get stuck loading but never change as shown below:

i follow the Tshoot steps in the post-installation tasks but I can find the issue.

Your help would be really appreciated!

Br,

Damian Neri

dneriali@cisco.com

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rnaggi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Pls wait for the services to come up ( running state) . there are total of around 34 services. All services should come to running state.

You could monitor the service state from https://<apic-em>:14141

hope this helps

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

rnaggi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Could we check services status .

1. ssh to the APIC_EM Console OR https://<api-em>:14141

2. user name grapevine

3. grape intance status to check for all services running. All services should be in Running state

Thanks Rohan for the quick response. I Checked the grape instane status and the only running services are the router, reverse proxy and ui services:

from the web interface i can see the following:

should all the services be up and running? in the Troubleshoot info states that these three are the main services.

thanks!!

DN

output from the grape instance status command:

wait for all the services to change to running state.

there are services in harvested state . you need to wait for all services to be in running state

thanks Rohan! should I just wait for the services to come up and switch from Harvested to running state? or should I manually start them with the plus button from the Grapevine web interface?

thanks!

Br,

DN

rnaggi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Pls wait for the services to come up ( running state) . there are total of around 34 services. All services should come to running state.

You could monitor the service state from https://<apic-em>:14141

hope this helps

How can we troubleshoot why the services are not starting? I can leave the server running for a week and I still have services in the harvested mode. If I load a page that has that service not running, I get a small window stating "Page temporarily unavailable. Waiting for xxx-service to come up' I can sit here for hours and the services do not come up. so far I've resorted to manually 'growing' instances in the admin overview page.

I have the same problem. Even after a clean install once I reboot the servers (3 servers) only some of the services change to green, all the others stuck in starting or in unresponsive. Did the powering down/up procedure from the deployment guide but I still get the same result.

APIC-EM version 1.3.1.9

Please help.

More likely than not, this might be because of the disk throughput of your host on which APIC-EM ISO/OVA is deployed.

Can you please make sure your host is compliant with following specs?

CPU (cores)Minimum Required: 6, Recommend: 12
CPU (speed)2.4 GHz
Memory64 GB [ For a multi-host hardware deployment (2 or 3 hosts) only 32GB of RAM is required for each host. ]
Disk Capacity500 GB of available/usable storage after hardware RAID
RAID LevelHardware-based RAID at RAID Level 10
Disk I/O Speed200 MBps

Thank you for the fast response.

In my case all the 3 servers have this specifications:

CPU (cores): 12

Memory: 64GB

Disk Capacity: 500GB

Regarding disk I/O, I can't verify the speed but in the installation it does not raise an error when testing the disk throughput. Is there a way to check the performance via VMware Vcenter? I can see also latency values to the disk, what should be a good value?

If you SSH into the APIC-EM shell and run check_diskio command, you should get the output. E.g.

$ check_diskio

Running disk check (count=512), please wait...

512+0 records in

512+0 records out

536870912 bytes (537 MB) copied, 2.05017 s, 262 MB/s

Cleaning temp files...

Disk check complete

(grapevine)

More likely than not, this might be because of the disk throughput of your host on which APIC-EM ISO/OVA is deployed.

Can you please make sure your host is compliant with following specs?

CPU (cores)Minimum Required: 6, Recommend: 12
CPU (speed)2.4 GHz
Memory64 GB [ For a multi-host hardware deployment (2 or 3 hosts) only 32GB of RAM is required for each host. ]
Disk Capacity500 GB of available/usable storage after hardware RAID
RAID LevelHardware-based RAID at RAID Level 10
Disk I/O Speed200 MBps

My install is a VM. Previously, our sysadmin had given me 16GB of RAM, as 64 is a huge number for an application like this. With 16GB available, the system only utilized a maximum of 10gb. I've had the admin bump the RAM, now up to 24 but the system is only reserving 18Gb. I am still seeing services that are in the harvested state. Right now VMWare shows 18Gb used, while FREE is reporting only 2.9Gb in use from the OS. I am currently unable to log into the system.

It's also worth mentioning that I've only got 4 procs right now, but my utilization shows at 1.8GHz...and there shouldn't be a need for any more since I'm not spiking what I have. Typically our organization will only provide more resources if the system shows it needs them. My resources were provided according to this school of thought.

Are there any specific errors I should be looking for in the logs? I'm unfamiliar with troubleshooting a container environment.

Specs for VM environment are not too different either: (Specifically refer to CPU, RAm and Disk I/O specs)

• Virtual Machine Requirements:
  • RequirementsSpecification
    Server Image FormatISO
    VMware ESXi Version5.1/5.5/6.0
    Virtual CPU (vCPU)Minimum Required: 6, Recommend: 12
    CPU (speed)2.4 GHz
    Memory64 GB [ For a multi-host deployment (2 or 3 hosts) only 32GB of RAM is required for each host. ]
    Disk Capacity500 GB
    Disk I/O Speed200 MBps
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

This community is intended for developer topics around Data Center technology and products. If you are looking for a non-developer topic about Data Center, you might find additional information in the Data Center and Cloud community