Views
Helpful
Replies

Where are the Cisco Modules for Ansible

j.a.m.e.s
Level 3
Level 3

Dear All,

I'm getting started with Ansible. I have installed ansible using pip (in a virtual environment):

pipenv install ansible

The ping check is working:

$ ansible -i ./ansible_hosts ios -m ping
switch.int.company.com | SUCCESS => {
    "ansible_facts": {
        "discovered_interpreter_python": "/usr/bin/python"
    },
    "changed": false,
    "ping": "pong"
}

Now I would like to create some basic playbooks using ios_command and ios_config.  I believe these should be installed in the project folder under ./libraries.

The issue is, where can I obtain these libraries? I've looked on githhub, devnet, ansible.com to no avail...

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards

James.

3 Replies 3

Claudia de Luna
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi @j.a.m.e.s 

The built in modules, like the ones you mentioned,  are typically in usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ansible  (that was 2.9.2)

Are you having trouble running a playbook?   

I have a set of docker containers and "getting started" repositories that might be useful.

https://gratuitous-arp.net/ansible-server-in-docker-for-network-engineers/

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @j.a.m.e.s 

All the available modules, which can be seen categorized here: https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/modules/modules_by_category.html are under:

(venv) sd@ubuntu$ pwd
/home/sd/ansible/venv/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ansible/modules
(venv) sd@ubuntu$ ls
cloud       crypto    identity     messaging   network       __pycache__        storage    web_infrastructure
clustering  database  __init__.py  monitoring  notification  remote_management  system     windows
commands    files     inventory    net_tools   packaging     source_control     utilities

If you want to look at the code of a specific module, you just navigate through the categories and sub-categories. For example, I am interested in a NXOS module. All the network (including NXOS) modules are available, naturally, under the network folder:

https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/modules/list_of_network_modules.html 

(venv) sd@ubuntu:$ pwd
/home/sd/ansible/venv/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ansible/modules/network/nxos
(venv) sd@ubuntu:$ ls
__init__.py                     nxos_igmp_interface.py   nxos_ntp.py             _nxos_switchport.py
nxos_aaa_server_host.py         nxos_igmp.py             nxos_nxapi.py           nxos_system.py
nxos_aaa_server.py              nxos_igmp_snooping.py    nxos_ospf.py            nxos_telemetry.py

Hope it helps!

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Thank you both for your reply. @Sergiu.Daniluk , that was the hint I needed to check my home drive for the virtual environment.

For me the location was this:

:) 10:45 user@machine ~/.local/share/virtualenvs/<pipenvfoldername>/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ansible/modules/network/ios

And it looks like a simple "pipenv install ansible" is enough to bring through IOS/FTD/NXOS/Aireos modules so there is no need to go hunting around for extra modules.

@Claudia de Luna I will check out your docker images at some stage.

Regards

James.