cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple calls on CTI Port

stephan.steiner
Spotlight
Spotlight

What needs to be done to have multiple calls on a CTI Port? I can do makeCall multiple times after another just fine, but if there's one active outbound call, calling makeCall, while returning success, returns the same globalCallId and in fact no new call is created.

Given that you can set maxCalls on a DN on a CTI port to 200, it must be possible to have more than one simultaneous outbound call, right?

Note that I don't even care about media, the call will leave the CTI port immediately after being answered.

5 Replies 5

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I believe only one call can be active at a time on a CTI Port, similar to phones; the possibility of having multiple active calls being a primary benefit of using a CTI Route Point.  It's curious that makeCall for a second active call succeeds but gives the existing call Id...I might have expected an exception, or to perhaps see the implementation place the original active call on hold as part of the operation.  This just may be the way it was decided to model the scenario, though.

So, if I understand this right... you you want a solution with call queueing with audio, then routing the call, would would that work out architecturally, e.g. in a CCX?

CTI RP queues the calls. Selects a free CTI Port to make an outbound call (how does it deal with caller id), then upon that call getting answered, redirect the inbound call from the CTI RP to the CTI Port, answer and transfer? 

I put together a fairly simplistic DVO-like sample as part of the jtapi-samples project here: CiscoDevNet/jtapi-samples 

It uses one CTI-RP to handle/hold the dialin call, makes the dialout call on the same CTI-RP, then after the dialout is answered, redirects both calls to a CTI-P and transfers them.

TODOs would be to look at how the various call IDs are handled to see if there are some cleanups possible, accept DTMF for the dialout DN, and implement some kind of audio prompt for the dialin call...

Thanks David. Will have a look when I'm back from the holidays. I got my approach working before the holidays, I used a CTI Port to make the outbound call, bounced the call from the CTI RP to the CTI Port, and transferred there. 

But, especially with your approach, it would be so much simpler if the CTI RP could do the transfer. I think whomever decided not to implement transfer/conference on the CTI RP when it was made media aware (I'm assuming that was made later on, and initially it was routing only) was a grave oversight - one that should've been corrected in the meantime.

Sounds similar to what I did, though I used a CTI RP to handle both the dialin and dialout legs, which are the time consuming ones, then redirect both to a CTI Port for the actual transfer.  The redirect/transfer happens in ~0.5 sec, so you can handle a bunch of DVO sessions with just a few CTI ports (~120/min/port)

Agree, that merging the full capabilities of both kinds of ports into a single unified CTI virtual device would be ideal - not sure what limitations in the underlying CTI Manager/CUCM code were in play to prevent that; however I suspect it is what it is for the foreseeable future...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: