cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Terraform ACI Provider Error

AJ Cruz
Level 3
Level 3

I've been testing the Terraform ACI Provider. In many ways I like Terraform more vs Ansible, but so far I'm having one issue with Terraform and hope somebody has some insight.

When I try to add an encapsulation block with this:

resource "aci_ranges" "Test-Encap-Block" {
  vlan_pool_dn  = "${aci_vlan_pool.External-VLAN-Pool.id}"
  _from = 101
  to = 101
}
I get this error:

aci_ranges.Test-Encap-Block: Creating...

Error: unknown property value uni/infra/vlanns-[External-VLAN-Pool]-static/from-[101]-to-[101], name dn, class fvnsEncapBlk [(Dn0)] Dn0=,

on aci.tf line 56, in resource "aci_ranges" "Test-Encap-Block":
56: resource "aci_ranges" "Test-Encap-Block" {

It seems to be pulling all the pertinent information including the id of the VLAN pool I want to tie the encap block to, allocation mode, and vlan range so I'm not sure why it's throwing and unknown property value error.

I'm not a real programmer but it kinda feels like maybe that Dn0 variable shouldn't be empty? I have no idea what that is though.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Try this:

resource "aci_ranges" "vlanpool3" {
  depends_on = [
    aci_vlan_pool.test_vlan_pool,
  ]
  vlan_pool_dn  = aci_vlan_pool.test_vlan_pool.id
  _from  = "vlan-134"
  to  = "vlan-134"
  from  = "vlan-134"
  alloc_mode  = "static"
}

I made a webcast in the french community for terraform: https://bit.ly/WEBsld-may20

Doesn't matter if you don't understand french, I published a docker in which there's a folder ACI with some code example to provision a fabric using terraform and python.

Anyways, here is the docker:

docker pull supportlan/csc_demo_dc

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Try this:

resource "aci_ranges" "vlanpool3" {
  depends_on = [
    aci_vlan_pool.test_vlan_pool,
  ]
  vlan_pool_dn  = aci_vlan_pool.test_vlan_pool.id
  _from  = "vlan-134"
  to  = "vlan-134"
  from  = "vlan-134"
  alloc_mode  = "static"
}

I made a webcast in the french community for terraform: https://bit.ly/WEBsld-may20

Doesn't matter if you don't understand french, I published a docker in which there's a folder ACI with some code example to provision a fabric using terraform and python.

Anyways, here is the docker:

docker pull supportlan/csc_demo_dc

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Thank you! It is working now. I looked at several examples, even the ones I pulled from CLUS demos never had VLAN pools and encap blocks created. It was all Tenant config.

I didn't realize the encap blocks needed the "vlan-" appended to the front. I probably should have seeing the aci_ranges resource is generic, but man they should put that in the documentation for the provider.

Thanks!

I do have one concern though, every time I run terraform apply it destroys and re-creates the encap blocks. Is that normal?

resource "aci_vlan_pool" "External-VLAN-Pool" {
  name  = "External-VLAN-Pool"
  alloc_mode  = "static"
}

resource "aci_ranges" "External-Encap-Block" {
  depends_on = [
    aci_vlan_pool.External-VLAN-Pool,
  ]
  vlan_pool_dn  = aci_vlan_pool.External-VLAN-Pool.id
  annotation = "test"
  name_alias = "example"
  description = "test description"
  role = "external"
  _from = "vlan-101"
  from = "vlan-101"
  to = "vlan-101"
  alloc_mode = "static"
}

yields this every time I run:

# aci_ranges.External-Encap-Block must be replaced
-/+ resource "aci_ranges" "External-Encap-Block" {
_from = "vlan-101"
alloc_mode = "static"
annotation = "test"
description = "test description"
from = "vlan-101"
~ id = "uni/infra/vlanns-[External-VLAN-Pool]-static/from-[vlan-101]-to-[vlan-101]" -> (known after apply)
name_alias = "example"
role = "external"
to = "vlan-101"
~ vlan_pool_dn = "uni/infra" -> "uni/infra/vlanns-[External-VLAN-Pool]-static" # forces replacement

I thought nothing would be touched if it already existed

It shouldn’t create again. If you do a terraform plan do you see a change is going to be applied?
Do you see this resource in your terraform.tfstate file?

Thanks
Francesco

Yes terraform plan shows the encap block is going to be replaced:

# aci_ranges.External-Encap-Block must be replaced
-/+ resource "aci_ranges" "External-Encap-Block" {
        _from        = "vlan-101"
        alloc_mode   = "static"
        annotation   = "test"
        description  = "test description"
        from         = "vlan-101"
      ~ id           = "uni/infra/vlanns-[External-VLAN-Pool]-static/from-[vlan-101]-to-[vlan-101]" -> (known after apply)
        name_alias   = "example"
        role         = "external"
        to           = "vlan-101"
      ~ vlan_pool_dn = "uni/infra" -> "uni/infra/vlanns-[External-VLAN-Pool]-static" # forces replacement
    }

The resource does exist in my state file:

[root@devbox aci]# terraform state show aci_ranges.External-Encap-Block
# aci_ranges.External-Encap-Block:
resource "aci_ranges" "External-Encap-Block" {
_from = "vlan-101"
alloc_mode = "static"
annotation = "test"
description = "test description"
from = "vlan-101"
id = "uni/infra/vlanns-[External-VLAN-Pool]-static/from-[vlan-101]-to-[vlan-101]"
name_alias = "example"
role = "external"
to = "vlan-101"
vlan_pool_dn = "uni/infra"
}

Thanks

It looks to me like the vlan_pool_dn variable changes after the encap block gets posted.

Changes from "uni/infra/vlanns-[External-VLAN-Pool]-static"

to "uni/infra"

I opened an issue on github on aci terraform provider.
Tested and getting the same issue.

Thanks
Francesco

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @AJ Cruz 

Just wanted to say I like seeing other people using Terraform with ACI.
What are your thoughts so far?

Thanks,

Sergiu

I'm just barely scratching the surface but so far I really like Terraform. I love the option to run a plan to see exactly what would happen on an apply.

You will see it's awesome what you can do with. Plans are very good when you want to take a view of what will be applied, save it and apply it later. Also, to come to a working previous state helps a lot in certain circumstances.

Thanks
Francesco
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

This community is intended for developer topics around Data Center technology and products. If you are looking for a non-developer topic about Data Center, you might find additional information in the Data Center and Cloud community