cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5K 7.1.4.N1.1 copy running-config to ftp issue

Mountain Man
Level 1
Level 1

Very strange thing happens after we upgrade the two 5K to 7.1.4.N1.1 from 7.1.1.N1.1.   The symptom is below:

copy running-config ftp://admin@10.2.2.2//tftpboot/conf/5k-1-config-11132018

Enter vrf (If no input, current vrf 'default' is considered):
Password:
***** Transfer of file Completed Successfully *****
Copy complete, now saving to disk (please wait)...

If I go to /tftpboot/conf folder on the FTP server which running vsftp demon I cannot find file, however, the file is copied to /home/admin directory names as:  host_name-running-config   ----- the host_name is the configured hostname on the 5K switch. 

On the FTP server, I can find the line: 

Tue Nov 13 15:03:51 2018 1 10.2.0.2 70784 /home/admin/host_name-running-config b _ i r admin ftp 0 * c

in /var/log/xferlog 

Opened case with Cisco and the TAC worked on this told me that this is FTP server issue. I am kind of agree but something I cannot explain:   first, I can save config from the Cisco devices on the same location and same subnet use the same command with no issues; second, I can save the config from other 5Ks in different location and different version of OS with no issues. In addition, just a comparison: from other working 5Ks. there is no:  "now saving to disk (please wait)..." after the line: "***** Transfer of file Completed Successfully *****  " and "Copy complete"

I have restarted the TFTP server once seems no help.  Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

May be wrong person in TAC, but most of them look deep dive logs and suggest best.

depends on TAC engineer your caught with.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

because you are using admin user, so it is copying the file in respected home folder of the user and ignoring your custom folder information you have added.

Did admin have access to /tftpboot folder  access to write access ?

check ftp server config.

BB

user is not issue.  I change the admin user during post the issue. I tested three different users and they have the same behavior. all users have the path/directory right. It worked this way for years. all the backup folders set to nobody/nobody.   If you read my post,  I did copy paste the same copy run ftp command using the same user, syntax has no issues on any other Cisco devices. We are not allow to use tftp. I also tested SCP and it is the same as FTP. 

Thanks for looking and the reply.

yes i understand what you have mentioned original post, it was my suggestion it may have locked the user to respected to home directory.

similar case reported for SFTP, but it was fixed in your version. i will try later day one of my kit and let you know.

check this bug mean time.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuz24931

BB

Thanks, Balaji:  It looks like the bug has not been fixed in 7.1(4)N1(1) and I tested SFTP and it has the similar symptoms. 

Raise an TAC case see if they can provide any fix for you.

BB

I did and seems that they are no better than you :-).  The TAC suggested that this is the FTP server related issue and I am kind of agree since the transfer log on the server indicated the backup files arrived to the server. Just in case someone knows so I started to post here.  After I provide the bug info you provided to the case. they asked me if I looked at the workaround the bug ID provided.

May be wrong person in TAC, but most of them look deep dive logs and suggest best.

depends on TAC engineer your caught with.

BB

Totally agree: all cases are depend on the TAC engineer we get.

The best solution is to write meme first to copy run to start, then copy starup-config to ftp server.  It works this way.

Tanks, Balaji for all your response!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: