cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSCux65429 - %22Power Controller reports power Imax error detected%22 PoE log on 3850 - 1

TMaddox
Level 1
Level 1

I wanted to start a discussion on this bug. The bug report has 3850's as the platform affected and software 3.7.0. I am running 3.6.6 on a 3650 and I am seeing these errors. In my case when the IMAX error occurs, the AP reboots causing it to disjoin from the controller. I have approximately 1300 AP's that are the same model;2702i. This happens sporadically across my 23 campus locations and sometimes the AP's are the same and sometimes not. I have a TAC case opened that involves this and AP's disjoining by being told to reboot from the controller, at least that is what TAC believes. They have suggested that I upgrade the wireless controllers. I have two 8510's currently running the last recommended software, 8.2.160. Once I establish a maintenance window I will be upgrading to 8.3.122. This is supposed to fix the AP reboot from controller and I am hopeful it will fix the IMAX errors too. I hope this information helps others out there that may have the same issue and are wondering what is going on. I will update the status when the upgrade is done.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

OK to get some closure on this thread I will provide the final update. Upgrading the switches to Denali 16.3.6 did solve my issue. I am not suggesting to go to this version if you have the issue and your version is 3.6.6. I was upgrading to Denali anyway so it worked out. If you are on 3.6.6 and do not want to change platforms then I would suggest to wait on the 3.6.9 release as Klaus mentioned.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

klaus.kruse
Level 1
Level 1
Hi Thomas,

Did an upgrade fixed the issue? We see a similar issue with different 3650 running on 3.6.6E and couple of different end devices (Cisco AP, access control system from unknown vendor).

No the upgrade didn't solve the IMAX error. TAC is engaging a switching engineer for troubleshooting. Funny thing is that I have 1200+ AP's out there and it is the same AP's that are drawing this error.

Forgot to mention this in my last comment. The upgrade to 8.3.122 didn't solve the whole problem. It solved the dis-associations but I was also getting random radio resets. I then upgraded to 8.3.133 which is where I am now.

Update on the situation. TAC supplied me with a script that will capture the IMAX errors in the logs and save it to a file in flash. In my deployment there are so many up/down interfaces during the day that the IMAX events gets lost in the buffer. I have caught one and sent it in to TAC.

Hi Thomas,

Our case went into a similar direction: We updated to 3.6.8 for testing purposes butPoE ports still went down. The engineer is now suspecting CSCvd46008 as reason for that. We got a huge list of commands to collect outputs *sigh*.

I keep you posted!

Hi Thomas,

Our case is now going to an end after we delivered huge amounts of output and got engineering involved. The fix will be implemented in 3.6.9E and Polaris images 16.6.4 and 16.3.7. Out of those the one with the nearest release date (according to TAC) is 16.6.4 which should be out by the end of June/ start of July.

Hooray!

That's great klaus! I recently upgraded all my switches to Denali 16.3.6. I am in monitoring currently but so far so good.

OK to get some closure on this thread I will provide the final update. Upgrading the switches to Denali 16.3.6 did solve my issue. I am not suggesting to go to this version if you have the issue and your version is 3.6.6. I was upgrading to Denali anyway so it worked out. If you are on 3.6.6 and do not want to change platforms then I would suggest to wait on the 3.6.9 release as Klaus mentioned.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: