cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSCvg97652 - Legacy Cisco ASA 5500 may be vulnerable to a Bleichenbacher attack on TLS

Christian Jorge
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning

I have an ASA firewall, version 9.1.7 pure.

It's not clear for me, checking de Cisco bug ID:

- this bug only affects 9.1.7(16) release or any 9.1.7.x release?

- does this bug affect ASA asdm/ssh access or only VPN access?
- how can I check in ASA configuration the vulnerability?

Regards

Christian

7 Replies 7

Pawel Bajorek
Level 1
Level 1

You may check this with: https://robotattack.org/#check

Pawel

Interesting article, appreciate your help

but I need something more practical and specific to firewall ASA

Regards

Christian

This bug is for VPN accesss

You must wait for next interim version or " Configure "ssl encryption" to only allow cipher suites based on Diffie-Hellman key exchange (like "dhe-aes128-sha1" and "dhe-aes256-sha1"). This mitigation may have an impact on interoperability with legacy clients that might not support these ciphers."

Paweł

Solutionary
Level 1
Level 1

TAC advised me that anything pre 9.1.7.x can also be considered vulnerable for what that is worth. Also as far as checking your ASA here is how I have done it:

Conditions:
- ASA 5505, 5510, 5520, 5540 or 5550 - show version (if you are not sure)

- An SSL trustpoint associated with a 2048-bit RSA key is configured on the ASA. - show crypto ca certificates (this will show you what if any certificates are associated with an ssl trustpoint on your device)
- Cipher suites relying on RSA for key exchange are allowed on the device (default configuration). - 

show ssl (this will show you what ssl ciphers your ASA has enabled)

Also keep in mind the following points that Cisco mentioned in the bug report:

- SSL trustpoints associated with a 1024-bit RSA key are not affected by this issue.
 - ASA models not explicitly mentioned in the Symptom are not affected by this issue.

What doesn't make sense to me is that Cisco has listed 9.2(4.25) as a fixed software version, but none of the affected ASA hardware models (ASA 5505, 5510, 5520, 5540 or 5550) can be upgraded to that code. I need to know if and when an interim fix on the 9.1.7 code is going to be released. 

Thanks for your help

Could someone confirm: Is Any 9.1.7 release or patch so far vulnerable?

This vulnerability only affects truspoints created to be used by VPNs, not affecting ASDM access?

Regards

Christian

Did you find out from Cisco TAC as when the fix ASA code within 9.1.7 train   .. I believe 9.1(7.21) is going to be publicly released and available for download ? 

Thanks,

The new version is now available.