cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSCvw89875 - Cisco NX-OS Software Unauthenticated Arbitrary File Actions Vulnerability

jrenken
Level 1
Level 1

FYI, the Security Advisory regarding this bug (cisco-sa-3000-9000-fileaction-QtLzDRy2) contains ambiguous information. The Affected Products section says:

If the command returns output, as shown in the following example, the device is vulnerable:

nexus# show sockets connection | include 9075
tcp LISTEN 0 32 * : 9075

One possible interpretation is that if the command returns any output, the device is vulnerable. However, as I confirmed with TAC and with my own portscan (against patched and unpatched devices), the device is no longer vulnerable when (after patching) the fifth column of output has changed from * to *%veobc. This indicates that the service is now listening on internal-facing interfaces only.

I hope this saves you some time by addressing the concern I had.

2 Replies 2

Hi jrenken

According to your discussion with TAC Engineer and your lab test. Is this SMU require reload?

Thanks

Pichet

Hi, Pichet,

We determined that a reload is not required: the output changed to *%veobc, and I confirmed with nmap that the vulnerable service was no longer available to hosts outside of the switch itself. The TAC engineer had first thought that a reload might be required, but then verified in the TAC lab that it was not.