Views
Helpful
Replies

device disconnects on WLC 2504 8.3.143.0 LAP 1041N

incognito
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone

I have some problems with connection to the WLAN.  Issue happens sometimes. I observe device disconnection, and i don't know why. With a 'debug client <MAC address>' command on the WLC, i observe the following logs when the device disconnects. I figure out 2 different reason of disconnections of devices from AP's. Below given short result of debugging (by xxxxxxxxxxxx i mean device's MAC address, by yyyyyyyyyyyy i mean AP's MAC address):

1)*spamApTask4: Jan 24 21:04:42.251: xxxxxxxxxxxx Received DELETE mobile, reason MN_REASSOC_TIMEOUT, from AP yyyyyyyyyyyy, slot 1 ...cleaning up mscb

2)*spamApTask3: Jan 17 15:39:26.957: xxxxxxxxxxxx Received DELETE mobile, reason MN_IDLE_TIMEOUT, from AP yyyyyyyyyyyy, slot 0 ...cleaning up mscb 

The full debug results are attached.   

Maybe there are problems related to the timeout?  

(Cisco Controller) >show ap stats wlan AP-1

WLAN 1
EAP Id Request Msg Timeouts................... 0
EAP Id Request Msg Timeouts Failures.......... 0
EAP Request Msg Timeouts...................... 0
EAP Request Msg Timeouts Failures............. 0
EAP Key Msg Timeouts.......................... 13
EAP Key Msg Timeouts Failures................. 4
WLAN 2
EAP Id Request Msg Timeouts................... 0
EAP Id Request Msg Timeouts Failures.......... 0
EAP Request Msg Timeouts...................... 0
EAP Request Msg Timeouts Failures............. 0
EAP Key Msg Timeouts.......................... 50
EAP Key Msg Timeouts Failures................. 14

(Cisco Controller) >show advanced eap
EAP-Identity-Request Timeout (seconds)........... 30
EAP-Identity-Request Max Retries................. 2
EAP Key-Index for Dynamic WEP.................... 0
EAP Max-Login Ignore Identity Response........... enable
EAP-Request Timeout (seconds).................... 30
EAP-Request Max Retries.......................... 2
EAPOL-Key Timeout (milliseconds)................. 1000
EAPOL-Key Max Retries............................ 2
EAP-Broadcast Key Interval....................... 3600

5 Replies 5

incognito
Level 1
Level 1

In addition to this I have another problem like: some devices  periodically reconnects by themselves without disconnecting from WiFi and the counter of uptime is reset and begins a new countdown. 

Hello,

Considering the message "Optimized Roaming : Client RSSI(-95) is lower than the association RSSI threshold(-84)" it seems to me that your client is experiencing a bad coverage while you have Optimized Roaming enabled. 

This log "reason MN_REASSOC_TIMEOUT" is probably consequence of poor SNR or high channel utilization.

To get started, make sure coverage is ok, disable Optimized Roaming, if possible, use 5.0 Ghz, if not already.  

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Thank you for the response
About Optimized Roaming: should I disable it?   the screenshot is attached
In addition to this i enabled 802.11v, 802.11k, 802.11r

I like to keep mine enabled. However, you need to be sure about coverage. Optimized Roaming uses a threshold of 6 dB hysteresis, which means, -84 dBm in your case. 

About 802.11v, 802.11k, 802.11r they are all great feature if your devices work fine with it. 

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Thank you

But i have one more question. Should I disable optimized roaming exactly for 802.11a network (the screenshot i attached)???

Because I found this article (given below): 

Optimized Roaming Disabled

• Description—Optimized roaming should be disabled because Apple devices use the newer 802.11r, 802.11k, or 802.11v roaming improvement.

• Selected—Optimized roaming is disabled.

• Unselected—Optimized roaming is enabled. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/88/best_practices/b_ME_Best_Practices_Guide_88.pdf

Because all these problems in our wireless network happens with MAC OS (apple devices) clients

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: