cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Business Dashboard Email Alerts for Network Devices Only

thabuck
Level 1
Level 1

I am utilizing Cisco Business Dashboard to remotely manage switches (SF300, CBS220, CBS250, and CBS350). As part of my use case, we have scheduled PoE which turns off the devices connected to the switches.

We would like to receive an email alert if a switch goes down, but only if a switch goes down.

Currently, when the client (PoE) devices power down, we get an email alert with the mac addresses of all the devices that were powered down.

Is there a way to limit email health alerts to only network devices, without manually applying a monitoring profile to each client device?

Thanks!

A

5 Replies 5

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi there,

You can apply monitoring profiles based on device type.  If you go to Administration > Monitoring Defaults, you will see that the monitoring profiles are set individually for each type of device.  So you should create or modify your monitoring profiles so you have at least two profiles - one with email enabled and one with email disabled.  Then apply the profile with email enabled to the switch device type and the other profile to the other device types.  The Monitoring Defaults menu allows you to set profiles for the dashboard as a whole, but these assignments can be overridden at the Organization and Device Group level if you like.  Just open the organization settings page (Administration > Organizations) or device group settings page (Administration > Device Groups) and you will see where you can select monitoring profiles specific to the organization or group.

Cheers,

Dave.

thabuck
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Dave,

I should have mentioned, I did try this but did not see an option for "Host" or "Client". I did create a "Monitor_Nothing" Monitoring Profile, currently applied to all the options but switches, but unfortunately didn't see an option that would relate to miscellaneous devices on the network (e.g. wired tablets).

thabuck_0-1664939955361.png

Ok, good point.  Leave it with me for a couple of days.  I'll need to talk to the engineering team about this.

Cheers,

Dave.

Ok, I've had a chat with the engineering team and confirmed that we should not be generating these notifications for host devices.  We will fix this in the upcoming 2.5.1 release, due out at the end of the month.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thank you Dave! I'll keep an eye out for that release then mark this as resolved.