Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Discovery error with FindIT Probe on SG350X

Hi All!

We got a problem with discovering a SG350X (stack with 4 switches) for the Cisco Business Dashboard.

The FindIT Network Probe is activated on the switch itself. When we start the refresh in inventory it find itself as a device (switch, model, version, SN and MAC). But no hostname, no IP address and not that this switch consists of 4 switches (see screenshot 14-sw01 attached).

A non Cisco WiFi-AP (Ubiquity) is correctly discovered.

We got the same setup on a different site of the customer, here the FindIT Probe on the switch discovers itself correctly (see screenshot 23-sw01).

Both switches-stacks run firmware 2.5.0.92 and report to the Cisco Business Dashboard.

Credentials for discovery should be correct as there are no needed device credentials under "Administration - Device Credentials" in the web gui of the switch's FindIT Network Probe.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

6 Replies 6

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

What you describe is certainly not the expected behaviour.  How long did you wait after enabling the probe before capturing the screenshot?  It will take the probe a couple of minutes to start up and fully discover the network, and the screenshot is typical for when the probe is part way through the discovery process.  But I amd only talking maybe 5-10 minutes at most for a complex network, so unless you captured the screenshot very soon after enabling the probe, then there is probably a different explanation.

Would you be able to PM the switch config to me, along with a description of the real network topology?  There might be something unusual in your setup that is causing the problem.

On another note, I would also recommend upgrading to the 2.5.5 version of firmware for the switch.  It shouldn't have any bearing on this problem, but it does provide a much tighter integration with Cisco Business Dashboard than the older versions of firmware.

Cheers,

Dave.

Dear David!

Even hours of starting a manual inventory, the status of the faulty discovery of the switch is the same.

I'll send you the configuration of it via PM.

The real network topology is the following:

Site 14 (where the discovery problem occurs):

2 VLANS (Office and Management)

Switches and devices which should be discovered and monitored are in the Management VLAN.

Switchstack of 4 SG350X where FindIT NW-Probe is activated.

Site 23 (where the discovery runs correctly):

2 VLANS (Office and Management)

Switches and devices which should be discovered and monitored are in the Management VLAN.

Switchstack of 4 SG350X where FindIT NW-Probe is activated.

Virtual Machine with Cisco Business Dashboard resides on this site in the Management VLAN. Local probe is disabled.

Both sites are connected via a VPN-Tunnel, no access-restriction between them. And both sites have the same layout and design.

As the discovery in Site23 runs correctly and the WiFi-AP on Site14 is displayed correctly in the CBD, i don't think its a problem with the network topology or the VPN-connection between the 2 sites. Especially because even in the WEB-GUI of the Site14-Switch it is not discovered correctly. Same layout and design at Site23, here everything works as expected.

Thanks in advance and BR,

Christian

Hi Christian,

Looking at the config you sent through, I think you are running into a bug that is triggered when VLAN 1 is disabled or does not have an IP address. I suspect the switch at the other site is using different vlan IDs and is using VLAN 1.  The bug was fixed in switch firmware 2.5.5 so I would recommend upgrading.  If you need to keep on the same firmware, then a workaround is to bring VLAN 1 up and give it an IP address, and then discovery should start working.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hello Dave!

VLAN 1 on the 14-sw01 was active but had no IP as you saw in the configuration. I added an IP Address to the VLAN and startet the discovery again. Now the Inventory shows the IP of the switch, but it's still not recognised as a 4 switch stack nor the hostname.

I'll have to talk to the customer regarding a firmware upgrade. Do you have a bug ID for the discovery-error with non active VLAN 1 you mentioned?

Thank you and Best Regards,

Christian

Is the VLAN 1 interface active?  If you look in the GUI at IP Configuration > IPv4 Management and Interfaces > IPv4 interface or 'show ip interface' in the CLI, does the VLAN 1 interface show as valid?  Normally the interface will be down unless there is at least one port in the vlan (access or trunk) that is up.

There is not a publicly visible bug ID for this problem as it was identified only during internal testing, so the issue was tracked and fixed using the internal development tools only.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hello David!

Yes, it's up:

IP Address I/F I/F Status Type Directed Prec Redirect Status

10.10.102.21/24 vlan 1 UP/UP Static disable No enable Valid

We'll upgrade the firmware to the latest and check the discovery afterwares.

Best Regards,

Christian