cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stop autodiscovery, just monitor static devices in Inventory

ryan14
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to only monitor a list of CBS switches via CBD and not have CBD autodiscover any switch on the network? I only want to monitor CBS switches that are in a list. When I have the local probe enabled in CBD it literally puts any device discovered such as APs, IP phones, etc into inventory which I do not want. I only want to monitor a list of CBS switches and not have it monitor anything else. 

4 Replies 4

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi there,

Is there a problem with having the devices in the inventory itself, or is the problem that the additional devices clutter up the screen and make it harder to manage the devices you do car about?  If it is the latter, then by using the filter options in the inventory and topology views, you can restrict what you see to only the switches and that may solve the problem immediately.

If the problem is more about the devices being in the inventory, can you elaborate a bit more.  I'd like to understand the trouble you are having a bit better.

Thanks,

Dave.

Hello. I only want to see the CBS switches in inventory. Is that possible? We already have monitoring in place via other software, but I like the idea of the backups being automated via CBD.

If you want to limit what you see in the inventory to just the switches, then set the filters on the inventory page to only show Device Type:Switch.

If you want to prevent CBD trying to poll the other devices, then delete the credentials for those devices on the Administration > Device Credentials page.  If CBD does not have credentials for a device, then the monitoring is limited to testing for reachability.  Those devices will still be in the inventory database, but you can exclude them from the UI using the filters.

For the regular config backups, use the filters on the inventory page to display only the switches you want to back up, select the checkboxes at the left for each of them, and create a periodic backup job using the action buttons with the schedule option.

Cheers,

Dave.

If you want to limit what you see in the inventory to just the switches, then set the filters on the inventory page to only show Device Type:Switch.

If you want to prevent CBD trying to poll the other devices, then delete the credentials for those devices on the Administration > Device Credentials page.  If CBD does not have credentials for a device, then the monitoring is limited to testing for reachability.  Those devices will still be in the inventory database, but you can exclude them from the UI using the filters.

For the regular config backups, use the filters on the inventory page to display only the switches you want to back up, select the checkboxes at the left for each of them, and create a periodic backup job using the action buttons with the schedule option.

Cheers,

Dave.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: