Views
Helpful
Replies

Router to Router ethernet connection

KJackson50
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a couple routers I am practicing with for the CCNA. I don't have serial links or cables to connect them so I'd have to use ethernet cables. However no matter what I do the two routers will not ping. I've made sure ip and subnet were correct, I make sure duplex and speed were the same on both. I also turned keepalive off on both. show ip interface brief shows "up, up", but they still can't ping. Am I missing something? I have two old Cisco 1800 routers. Please let me know if you need anything else, help is much appreciated!

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Alishah Rasouli
Level 1
Level 1

HI 

as i did it and hope can help you.

try with cross over cable.

you can see the attached file open it with packet tracer.

both routers are able to ping each other.

Alishah.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

Have you tried a cross over cable?

Hope this helps.

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks.

tfidriss1
Level 1
Level 1

just doing the show ip int brief is not enough to tell you whether there is an issue or no.

1). Make sure the cable is a crossover cable, if yes you may have to test/replace it

if you confirm is a crossover and you test it and it still doesn't work then copy and paste

show interface fa x/y of both end here. show we can take a look

Alishah Rasouli
Level 1
Level 1

HI 

as i did it and hope can help you.

try with cross over cable.

you can see the attached file open it with packet tracer.

both routers are able to ping each other.

Alishah.

KJackson50
Level 1
Level 1

Hey thanks! That worked!

Apparently I did not crimp the first cord correctly. So I went and re-did it correctly and now it works like a charm. I appreciate it.

KJackson50
Level 1
Level 1

Hey thanks! That worked!

Apparently I did not crimp the first cord correctly. So I went and re-did it correctly and now it works like a charm. I appreciate it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: