Views
Helpful
Replies

Access switch console port with Mac computer

rjeffers
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on how to use a console cable with a Mac computer in order to connect to my Cisco Catalyst 2960-X switches.  I have a serial to usb adapter for my RJ-45 Cisco console cable that works fine on Windows, but I don't know how to use it on a Mac with applications such as the Cisco CLI Analyzer.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kevwilso
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Two things you should read first:

1. Go to "https://cway.cisco.com/docs/cisco-cli-analyzer/latest/Connect_to_a_Device_(Serial).htm".  You may have to copy everything in the quotes and manually paste the link since some browsers wont show "(Serial).htm" as clickable. 

2. With the CLI Analyzer, click on "Feature Guide" on the left.  Next, click on 3.1.0 features.  Next, click on "Serial Connection Support"

Depending on your USB adapter, you may or may not have to install drivers on you Mac.

Kevin W.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

kevwilso
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Two things you should read first:

1. Go to "https://cway.cisco.com/docs/cisco-cli-analyzer/latest/Connect_to_a_Device_(Serial).htm".  You may have to copy everything in the quotes and manually paste the link since some browsers wont show "(Serial).htm" as clickable. 

2. With the CLI Analyzer, click on "Feature Guide" on the left.  Next, click on 3.1.0 features.  Next, click on "Serial Connection Support"

Depending on your USB adapter, you may or may not have to install drivers on you Mac.

Kevin W.

Thank you for your help.  I have two adapters that I've been trying to use: the Tera Grand USB 2.0 to RS232 Serial DB9 cable and the Tripp Lite USB to RJ45 Cisco Serial Roll over Cable.

They both are working with Cisco CLI Analyzer now that I installed the newest VCP drivers from ftdichip.com and restarted.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: