cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help on IMC Power Tools to configure Login Banner and Configure Config Backup

woei-terng.yeo
Level 1
Level 1

I need to mass deploy and verify C Series server

i) CIMC Login Banner

ii) CIMC Backup Config to remote tftp server

I can't find any cmdlets in CIMC Power Tools that allow us to configure the settings. Is there any alternate way rather than configure the CIMC one by one?

The equivalent CIMC CLI command for Login Banner:-

scope chassis

set upload-banner <Custom Banner>

Config backup:-

scope cimc

scope import-export

export config <tftp-ip-address path-and-filename>

Thanks.

10 Replies 10

vravish
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

IMC PowerTool has cmdlet "Export-ImcConfiguration" which you can use to export the CIMC config backup. Here is one example:

$dummyPassword = ConvertTo-SecureString "dummy" -AsPlainText -Force

$mycreds = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential ("dummyUser", $dummyPassword)

Export-ImcConfiguration -RemoteHost x.x.x.x -RemoteFile "/root/cimc_backup/cimcConfigBackup.xml" -Proto sftp -Passphrase 123456 -RemoteCredential $mycreds

you can use protocol (-Proto parameter in the cmdlet) as sftp, ftp, tftp, scp. In case the your ftp server do not require remoteCredentials, you can pass dummy credentials.

PowerTool does not support create/update/clear login banners because PowerTool uses CIMC XML apis to communicate with CIMC and CIMC XML api does not have any MOs to support create/update/clear login banner.

thanks,

vinay ravish

Hi Vinay, i am trying to use this to send to sftp server which does require credential. I keep getting an error for any entry after -RemoteCredential . What would be the string if the user = admin and password = Cisco!23 

#Enter your password below at "RemotePassword"

$dummyPassword = ConvertTo-SecureString "RemotePassword" -AsPlainText -Force

#Enter the remote user and pass the above securestring password

$remoteCreds = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential ("RemoteUser", $dummyPassword)

#Use the above $remoteCreds object to pass it to the parameter -RemoteCredential

Export-ImcConfiguration -RemoteHost x.x.x.x -RemoteFile "/root/cimc_backup/cimcConfigBackup.xml" -Proto sftp -Passphrase 123456 -RemoteCredential $mycreds

if this does not work, please provide the error message.

Thanks, I was able to get past that, now i get this message, I can see near the top of the shell it saying :transferring, but then the message appears:

Export-ImcConfiguration : vcdgcimc10:Failed to export the CIMC configuration file.Error Code: TFTP Error Error Description: NONE
At line:1 char:1
+ Export-ImcConfiguration -RemoteHost "10.186.15.68" -RemoteFile "/logs ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Export-ImcConfiguration], Exception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Cisco.Imc.Cmdlets.ExportImcConfiguration

Also, the original password i was trying to use had a "-" in the middle, which wouldn't let me enter, is there a way to overcome that?

You can use like this

$dummyPassword = ConvertTo-SecureString 'Remote"-"Password' -AsPlainText -Force

if you are not able to enter password as plain text

use the below cmdlet and enter the required input

$remoteCred = Get-Credential

Thanks, how about the other transfer error? I used the same credentials and remote host to export the hardware inventory,

Get-ImcTopSystem | Export-ImcHardwareInventory

Hi ,

To Export the HardwareInventory you can use the cmdlet as per below syntax:-

Export-ImcHardwareInventory -TopSystem <TopSystem> -Hostname <string> [-Proto <string>] [-Pwd <string>] -RemoteFile <string> [-User <string>] [-XtraProperty <Hashtable>] [-Force] [<CommonParameters>]

Example :-

PS C:/> $result = Get-ImcTopSystem | Export-IMCHardwareInventory -Hostname XX.XX.XX.XX -Proto sftp -RemoteFile log.txt -Pwd XXXXXXXXXX -User XXXXUser

You can check the same using the CIMC UI to test the remote server configuration working proper or not.

1) Login to CIMC UI

2) Go to Admin->Utility -> Export Hardware Inventory data to remote

3) feed the remote server details according to the protocol selected

4) Hit the Export button

We have also tested the Cmdlet Export-IMCConfiguration using the sftp/ftp/scp protocol, it is working fine

If you still get error then try to export the configuration using the CIMC UI to make sure that the remote server configuration is proper

Perform the following steps to achieve the same

1) Login to CIMC UI

2) go to Admin->Utilities->Export configuration

3) feed the remote server details according to the selected protocol

4) Hit the export button

5) Verify the export configuration file on the remote server.

by doing the above steps, if you are able to do the export then your remote server configuration is proper, and the Export-IMCConfiguration Cmdlet will work as expected.

Note : Make sure the remote directory should have read write permission, export to remote server fails due lack of permission.

Thank you, the issue was the path to the file, as soon as i corrected it sent the config fine.

Please use below cmdlets  ,

PS C:\> $creds = New-Object -TypeName System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -ArgumentList “mysftpuser”, $(ConvertTo-SecureString -Force -AsPlainText “$Password”)
PS C:\> Export-ImcConfiguration -RemoteHost $IPAddress -RemoteFile "/upload/HelloWorld1.txt" -Proto sftp -Passphrase '123456' -RemoteCredential $creds -Xml
==> C240-WZP2215060F:<configConfMo cookie="d6cbcad26e/c98ebbfb-c866-3513-e990-ba27f4578a02" dn="sys/export-config" inHierarchical="false"><inConfig><mgmtBackup adminState="enabled" dn="sys/export-config" hostname="$IPAddress" passphrase="123456" proto="sftp" pwd="$Password" remoteFile="/upload/HelloWorld1.txt" status="modified" user="mysftpuser" /></inConfig></configConfMo>
<== C240-WZP2215060F:<configConfMo dn="sys/export-config" cookie="d6cbcad26e/c98ebbfb-c866-3513-e990-ba27f4578a02" response="yes"><outConfig><mgmtBackup dn="sys/export-config" adminState="disabled" fsmStageDescr="Error" fsmRmtInvErrCode="Error collecting configuration data" fsmRmtInvErrDescr="NONE" fsmDescr="export-config" proto="none" hostname="" remoteFile="" user="" pwd="" passphrase="" source="" usbPath="" status="modified" ></mgmtBackup></outConfig></configConfMo>
==> C240-WZP2215060F:<configResolveDn cookie="04a1efcbfe/209e9277-cb43-363c-1150-55fe02f72c9a" dn="sys/export-config" inHierarchical="false" />
<== C240-WZP2215060F:<configResolveDn cookie="04a1efcbfe/209e9277-cb43-363c-1150-55fe02f72c9a" response="yes" dn="sys/export-config"><outConfig><mgmtBackup dn="sys/export-config" adminState="disabled" fsmStageDescr="Completed successfully" fsmRmtInvErrCode="" fsmRmtInvErrDescr="NONE" fsmDescr="export-config" proto="none" hostname="" remoteFile="" user="" pwd="" passphrase="" source="" usbPath="" ></mgmtBackup></outConfig></configResolveDn>

AdminState : disabled
Entity :
FsmDescr : export-config
FsmRmtInvErrCode :
FsmRmtInvErrDescr : NONE
FsmStageDescr : Completed successfully
Hostname :
Passphrase :
Proto : none
Pwd :
RemoteFile :
Source :
UsbPath :
User :
Imc : C240-WZP2215060F
Dn : sys/export-config
Rn : export-config
XtraProperty : {}

PS C:\>

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Cisco UCS X-Series Energy Efficiency Offer