cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS performance data in SCOM?

hnsolvoit
Level 1
Level 1

We are searching for performance data from the UCS environment.  Monitoring with SCOM is working fine.  We are discovering the pods and are receiving appropriate alerts.

But where is the performance data?  We'd like to see performance data from for example local disks, air temperature, port utilization etc.  I've searched the guides and release notes but cannot seem to locate any instructions,  Are we overlooking something?

Regards

Henrik

5 Replies 5

amimanda
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Henrik,

Thanks for your query…

Fetching performance metrics from UCS environment is not supported in Cisco UCS Manager Management Pack…

Please let us know if you have any further queries about our Management Pack for Operations Manager 2012…

Thanks,

Amit Kumar

Performance data is available for many things from the no-cost Windows Server management packs from Microsoft.  For example, information on disk utilization.  If UCS is reporting its temperature to Windows Server, meaning that it would be available via a WMI call within Windows, that would also be available there.

Jalasoft is a third party vendor that has written SCOM management packs for Cisco switches and routers.  Not sure if they handle Fabric Interconnects.  They do use SNMP, so it might be possible.  If interested, you could contact Jalasoft (http://www.jalasoft.com/xian).

Gerald Versluis
Level 1
Level 1

Henrik has a very valid point. I am a SCOM consultant and I get this question regularly... only to see disappointed faces from the UCS administrators when I tell them Cisco hasn't included this in the Management Pack. Using the Windows MP doesn't really help; many UCS blades run XenServer or ESXi and besides, if you're going to build from scratch, there's a better way. Looking at the Cisco MIB reference at  http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/mib/b-series/b_UCS_MIBRef/b_UCS_MIBRef_chapter_0100.html#c_aboutciscomibfiles, (especially Table 4 MIBs to Use for Gathering Statistics) the information is available through SNMP so it should be possible to extend the MP with it.

Considering that customers ask for this on a very regular basis, I'm very interested if and when Cisco will include this in a future version of the MP.

We are working on the next release of the MP where the plan is to support performance metrics. Port utilization, temperature and power statistics will be supported. Let us know if you are looking for any specific statistics.

That's great to hear. Counters sound good, I think including local disk performance (like Henrik mentioned) would be great as well.

And please let me know if I can contribute in any way; I'm working on getting the UCS Simulator in my lab, so I'd probably be able to do some testing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Cisco UCS X-Series Energy Efficiency Offer