Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Jeffrey Foster
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We are pleased to announce the release of Cisco UCS PowerTool Suite version 2.4.1.

Cisco UCS PowerTool suite is a set of PowerShell modules for Cisco UCS Manager, Cisco IMC and Cisco UCS Central that helps in configuration and management of Cisco UCS domains and solutions.

Key Features in Release 2.4.1

• Support for new features in Cisco IMC Release 3.1(3a)
  • Support for new features in Cisco UCSM Release 3.2(3)
  • Updated cmdletSet-ImcHuuFirmwareUpdaterwith new parameters.
  • Updated catalog rules for M5 Servers.

Key Features in Release 2.3.1

• Support for new features in Cisco IMC Release 3.1(1d)
  • Support for new features in Cisco UCS Central Release 2.0(1b)
  • Support for new features in Cisco UCSM Release 3.2(1d)
  • Updated cmdletAdd-UcsCentralServiceProfileFromTemplateto create Service profile with service profile template
  • Added cmdletGet-UcsCentralPolicyUsageto provide support to fetch policy details for any managed object.

Key Features in Release 2.2.1

• Support for new features in Cisco IMC Release 3.0(1c) and 3.0(2b)
  • Support to launch the UCS Manager HTML GUI automatic login
  • Support to specify the JSON file as input for uploading the hardware profile to HCL Tool
  • Support to collect advisories for the hardware profile in HCL Tool cmdlet
  • Security enhancement to HCL Tool cmdlets

Your scripts written using PowerTool 1.x will break due to module name changes.

The following table lists the module name changes in this release:

Previous Module Name

New Module Name

CiscoUcsCentralPS

Cisco.UCSCentral

CiscoImcPS

Cisco.IMC

CiscoUcsPS

Cisco.UCSManager

Installer download (from cisco.com):

Module download (from Powershell Gallery):

• Cisco.UCSManager

https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/Cisco.UCSManager/2.4.1.3

• Cisco.IMC

https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/Cisco.IMC/2.4.1.3

• Cisco.UCSCentral

https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/Cisco.UCSCentral/2.4.1.3

• Cisco.UCS.DesiredStateConfiguration

https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/Cisco.UCS.DesiredStateConfiguration/2.4.1.3

Documentation:

Reference: Cisco UCS PowerTool Command Reference for Cisco UCS Manager

External customers - For any queries/feedback on PowerTool, contact Cisco TAC or ucs-powertool@cisco.com or add a discussion to the Cisco Developed Integrations sub-space on Cisco UCS Communities

We are also on Slack - slack requires registration, but the cisco-ucs-powertool channel on powershell team is open invitation to anyone to register here. Once you join the powershell slack team you can join cisco-ucs-powertool channel here

Internal (Cisco) customers and employees - Contact us at ucs-powertool@cisco.com for support questions and ask-ucs-tme@cisco.com or ask-ucs-pm@cisco.com for roadmap questions and feedback.

Comments
bob-sinclair
Level 1
Level 1

To get UCS HealthCheck v2.3 to work with PowerTool Suite version 2+ I had to replace the four references to ‘CiscoUcsPs’ with ‘Cisco.UCSManager’ 

http://www.advancednetworktraining.com/ucs-healthcheck-v2-3-with-powertool-suite-version-2-0-1/

Seems to work; do I have that right?

James Hester
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Probably. They changed the module names when they released the suite. Mucked up a bunch of my scripts...

bob-sinclair
Level 1
Level 1

Page updated with the re-naming info just an hour after this comment. Thanks!

andrewjpalmer
Level 1
Level 1

The Confirm parameter on the Set-UcsSysdebugMEpLog cmdlet doesn't appear to be working.  Despite the below I am still being asked to confirm each blade in scope.

Get-UcsBlade | Get-UcsMgmtController | Get-UcsSysdebugMEpLog -Type SEL | Set-UcsSysdebugMEpLog -AdminState clear -Confirm:$false

Set-UcsSysdebugMEpLog

Are you sure you want to modify xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:sys/chassis-1/blade-1/mgmt/log-SEL-0?

[Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "Y"):

Set-UcsSysdebugMEpLog

Are you sure you want to modify xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:sys/chassis-1/blade-2/mgmt/log-SEL-0?

[Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "Y"):

Set-UcsSysdebugMEpLog

Are you sure you want to modify xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:sys/chassis-1/blade-3/mgmt/log-SEL-0?

etc

This is version 2.0.1

nveda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Andrew,

-Confirm is a switch parameter in PowerTool cmdlet, if specified it will prompt for confirmation.

You can use –Force to avoid confirmation.

Get-UcsBlade | Get-UcsMgmtController | Get-UcsSysdebugMEpLog -Type SEL | Set-UcsSysdebugMEpLog -AdminState clear -Force

Thank you,

Nitin

andrewjpalmer
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks. I will give -Force a try.

Shouldn't the -Confirm parameter honour my request though and not confirm?  A $true or $false value returns the same result.

nveda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Andrew,

In all the set and remove cmdlet in Powertool we prompt user for confirmation as it involve some change in configuration.

-Confirm parameter is honoring your request. $true and $false return different result.

PowerTool C:\> Get-UcsBlade | Get-UcsMgmtController | Get-UcsSysdebugMEpLog -Type SEL | Set-UcsSysdebugMEpLog -AdminState clear -Confirm:$false

Set-UcsSysdebugMEpLog

Are you sure you want to modify Tcs-tpi01:sys/chassis-1/blade-1/mgmt/log-SEL-0?

Yes Yes to All No No to All Suspend Help (default is "Y"): n

PowerTool C:\> Get-UcsBlade | Get-UcsMgmtController | Get-UcsSysdebugMEpLog -Type SEL | Set-UcsSysdebugMEpLog -AdminState clear -Confirm:$true

Confirm

Are you sure you want to perform this action?

Performing the operation "Set" on target "Tcs-tpi01:sys/chassis-1/blade-1/mgmt/log-SEL-0".

Yes Yes to All No No to All Suspend Help (default is "Y"):

Though it appears similar these are different messages. When you say –Confirm:$false , message that you see is a confirmation we need from user to do any configuration.

As I mentioned in my earlier mail you can try -Force

C:\> Get-UcsBlade | Get-UcsMgmtController | Get-UcsSysdebugMEpLog -Type SEL | Set-UcsSysdebugMEpLog -AdminState clear -Confirm:$false –Force

Let us know if it helps.

Thank you,

Nitin

andrewjpalmer
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to deploy this silently to a bunch of remote desktop servers but the installation is freezing.  After testing I found that if the installer finds a powershell.exe process running the installer freezes because it wants you to close the process before installation.  Can you please ensure that this is popup is not happening when a silent install is requested?  At most the installer should just suggest a reboot is required.

sumbr
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We will fix this issue in the next release.

Thanks,

Sumanth BR

andrewjpalmer
Level 1
Level 1

Actually I think I am wrong.  I have just tested this on a server with nobody installed and it's still freezing.  I'm actually deploying via DSC.  It's upgrading version 2.0.1.5 to 2.2.1.8.  Here's what I am using.

Package CiscoUCSPowerTool

{

Ensure = 'Present'

Name   = 'Cisco UCS PowerTool Suite'

Path = 'C:\Cisco_UCS_PowerTool_Suite_2.2.1.8.msi'

ProductId = 'A696D9A4-F116-4881-954F-5AE448CF80AD'

Arguments = '/qn /norestart'

}

Not that it helps but here's the verbose output...

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool] The package Cisco UCS PowerTool Suite is not installed

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]: LCM:  [ End    Test     ]  [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool]  in 0.2960 seconds.

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]: LCM:  [ Start  Set      ]  [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool]

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool] Validate-StandardArguments, Path was C:\Cisco_UCS_PowerTool_Suite_2.2.1.8.msi

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool] The path extension was .msi

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool] Parsing A696D9A4-F116-4881-954F-5AE448CF80AD as an identifyingNumber

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool] Parsed A696D9A4-F116-4881-954F-5AE448CF80AD as {A696D9A4-F116-4881-954F-5AE448CF80AD}

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool] Ensure is Present

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool] product installation cannot be determined

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool] product as boolean is False

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool] The package Cisco UCS PowerTool Suite is not installed

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool] Validate-StandardArguments, Path was C:\Cisco_UCS_PowerTool_Suite_2.2.1.8.msi

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool] The path extension was .msi

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool] Parsing A696D9A4-F116-4881-954F-5AE448CF80AD as an identifyingNumber

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool] Parsed A696D9A4-F116-4881-954F-5AE448CF80AD as {A696D9A4-F116-4881-954F-5AE448CF80AD}

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool] Package configuration starting

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool] Mount share to get media

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool] Starting C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe with /i "C:\Cisco_UCS_PowerTool_Suite_2.2.1.8.msi" /quiet /qn /norestart

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool] Starting process C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe with arguments /i "C:\Cisco_UCS_PowerTool_Suite_2.2.1.8.msi" /quiet /qn /norestart

It freezes here and never ends.  I did notice if I kill a "msiexec.exe*32" process the installation then completes OK...

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-Module cisco.ucs.core -ListAvailable

Directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\WindowsPowerShell\Modules

ModuleType Version    Name                                ExportedCommands

---------- -------    ----                                ----------------

Binary     2.0.1.5    Cisco.UCS.Core                      {Get-UcsCcoImageList, Get-UcsCcoImage, Get-UcsPowerToolCom...

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-Process -Id 14120 | Stop-Process

Confirm

Are you sure you want to perform the Stop-Process operation on the following item: msiexec(14120)?

[Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "Y"): y

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-Module cisco.ucs.core -ListAvailable

Directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\WindowsPowerShell\Modules

ModuleType Version    Name                                ExportedCommands

---------- -------    ----                                ----------------

Binary     2.2.1.8    Cisco.UCS.Core                      {Add-UcsHardwareProfile, Get-UcsPowerToolCommunity, Get-Uc...

PS C:\Windows\system32>

And the remaining verbose output...

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool] The machine requires a reboot

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool] Package has been installed

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool] Package configuration finished

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]: LCM:  [ End    Set      ]  [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool]  in 1017.6410 seconds.

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]: LCM:  [ End    Resource ]  [[Package]CiscoUCSPowerTool]

VERBOSE: [SERVER01]:                            [] A reboot is required to progress further. Please reboot the system.

WARNING: [SERVER01]:                            [] A reboot is required to progress further. Please reboot the system.

As you can see the time it took was 1017 seconds which is how long it took me to figure out killing the 32bit process finished the install.

brrood
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sumanth,

Will this new release support connecting to UCSM 3.1.3 that came out in April?

Thanks,

Bryan

sumbr
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Bryan,

You should be able to connect to UCSM 3.1.3 with the current release of UCS PowerTool Suite. However, cmdlets for the new features (MOs) is not available.

In UCSM 3.1.3 domain if the SSL protocol version is set to TLS 1.2 then before making a connection you need to include the below line in your script.

[System.Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol =[System.Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls12 -bor [System.Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls11 -bor [System.Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls -bor [System.Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Ssl3

Thanks,

Sumanth

luis.silva1
Community Member

Hi.  I need some help.

I’m having difficulty figuring out how to run a specific query using UCS PowerTool.

Basically I need to scan all my UCSes and check if VSAN trunking is enabled or not on a SAN Fabric.

I might be searching in the wrong place/command for the information.

Thank-you for any help.

-Luis

alberto_vargas
Community Member

I agree that PowerShell gallery is the way to go. As a customer seeing an MSI package (PSSnappin) over a powershell module makes me question the maturity of the product.

amimanda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alberto,

Modules have been posted on PSGallery now.

Thanks,

Amit Kumar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links