Views
Helpful
Replies

Application health DNA

JonathanC1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I am looking at purchasing DNA and giving a business case to do it. I have several switches already with DNA essentials/network essentials the switches and they are non-SDA.

(1) Firstly to use application health I believe it is available with essentials?

(2) The devices do not have any netflow config just basic LAN config for switching. Do we need to configure netflow or is it automatic when the device is added and telemetry settings are pushed?

Thanks

Jon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

"For switches, running IOS-XE, the Application Visibility data is collected using a pre-defined NBAR template that is applied bi-directionally (ingress and egress) to the physical layer access switch ports. "

NBAR is allowed under Advanced license on the diagram you shared.

But, honestly I dont understand which logic is used in order to ask this or that licensing.  I just look at the docs.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi

"(1) Firstly to use application health I believe it is available with essentials?"

Nop. For switches it is required Cisco DNA Assurance license

Application Visibility Prerequisites on Switches

- Requires Cisco IOS XE software.

- Requires a Cisco DNA Advantage license.

- Implemented only on access ports that contain the command switchport mode access.

- Support for L2 logical interfaces is not available.

- Limited visibility if the switch port is connected to an AP and configured with switchport mode access.

- Ports cannot be enabled for ETA.

- Only IPv4 flows are monitored.

- Management interface Gig0/0 cannot be used as the source interface of a NetFlow export.

- Clocks must be synchronized between Cisco DNA Center and the device for Assurance to display Application Health data.

- The conventional tagging-based algorithm (with keyword lan) is supported, but starting Cisco DNA Center, release 2.1.2, a new automatic interface or WLAN selection algorithm is introduced, which allows you to enable Application Telemetry on interfaces or WLANs without tagging them with the keyword lan. For information about the criteria that is used, see Criteria for Enabling Application Telemetry on Devices.

"(2) The devices do not have any netflow config just basic LAN config for switching. Do we need to configure netflow or is it automatic when the device is added and telemetry settings are pushed?"

Telemetry only.

Hi Flavio,

Very useful thanks. What doesn't make sense is https://www.secureitstore.com/datasheets/DNA-Switching-Matrix.pdf 

Full Flexible NetFlow is an essentials licensed feature and mentioned manual/automation!

Regards

JC

Hi

"For switches, running IOS-XE, the Application Visibility data is collected using a pre-defined NBAR template that is applied bi-directionally (ingress and egress) to the physical layer access switch ports. "

NBAR is allowed under Advanced license on the diagram you shared.

But, honestly I dont understand which logic is used in order to ask this or that licensing.  I just look at the docs.

Hallo @Flavio Miranda. Do you have any idea why an Application is showing as 'Unknown' in Application Assurance, also when I click on Application to get Application 360 View, I see nothing, no health data, no traffic, everything empty. Could you help me please?

ersegoil065
Level 1
Level 1

In the world of chemistry and laboratory sciences, just as DNA holds the code of life, Onlinechemicaliën.nl holds the code to high-quality chemical products and laboratory supplies. Explore our extensive range and experience the precision and reliability that form the 'health DNA' of our offerings. We're dedicated to providing you with the essential building blocks for your scientific endeavors, ensuring every experiment and project starts on a solid foundation.