cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Assurance - Application

mlarsson1
Level 1
Level 1

In my PoC and validation of Assurance, I have now come to the part where we would like to see Application health status.

My DNAC is version 1.3.1.3 and my Edge switches are running on version 16.6 code. 

The telemetry is working fine. Switches are sending netflow data DNAC server.assurance_app_2.PNG

But the Health Score on the application is not showing/calculationg. Neither are the DSCP, Packet Loss, latency or Jitter..
Do anyone know what need to be done to make DNAC show that type statistics? 

Thanks in advance!

6 Replies 6

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you also configured Maximal Telemetry on a router in the network? 

"Cisco Application Experience (AX) allows you to monitor the health of an application. Application health is measured using a score value, which is calculated based on the application's qualitative metrics—packet loss, network latency, and jitter.

AX is based on the NetFlow records exported by routers. Only application performance profiles that include application client-server stats, application response time and media type monitors are supported."

From: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/network-automation-and-management/dna-center-assurance/1-3/b_cisco_dna_assurance_1_3_ug/b_cisco_dna_assurance_1_3_ug_chapter_01000.html

Yes, the Edge has Maximal Telemetry configured.  As I understand, the Maximal Telemetry adds the Application Visibility (in release 1.2.x it was named Netflow instead).  And in the picture I posted before, you can see that DNA-C receives Telemetry data from the edge.  But I'm guessing that DNA-C some how don't do the calculation of the Application Health. 

And I also see in the Edge that the recognition of application (nbar) works. 

I assume by "Edge" you mean a switch.  I was trying to explain that some parts of Application visibility rely on routers in the path of the traffic.  Do you have a Cisco router in the path, managed by DNA-C, and configured with Max Telemetry?

Yes, when I say Edge I mean a switch. 

No, all devices that are managed by DNA-C are Catalyst swtiches. No routers. 
So we need a ISR/ASR router to be able to see the Application health?   Where can I read more about that?

In addition to the link I gave in my first response, you might find some helpful resources here.   "Application Experience" is the term you want to be searching for.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/enterprise-networks/application-experience/index.html#~stickynav=2

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco