cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9300L switch licenses

hmc250000
Level 1
Level 1

We have a C9300-24UX with the licenses enabled at the time it was configured. Now a few years forward I see the licenses have expired. what is the impact of this exactly and how do I reactivate?

Any other license we need to be worried about? 

We are not using Cisco DNA Center.

This new licensing method has not really been simple as per cisco's claims.

License Usage
==============

(C9300-24 DNA Advantage):
Description:
Count: 2
Version: 1.0
Export status: NOT RESTRICTED

(C9300-24 Network Advantage):
Description:
Count: 2
Version: 1.0
Export status: NOT RESTRICTED

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Technical you should not see any issue,. but compliance you need to get License to use tht feeatures.

what version of code, most of the Cat 9300 are new smart License.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-9/configuration_guide/sys_mgmt/b_169_sys_mgmt_9300_cg/configuring_smart_licensing.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

We do not use DNA center.

Switch Ports Model SW Version SW Image Mode
------ ----- ----- ---------- ---------- ----
* 1 40 C9300-24UX 16.9.4 CAT9K_IOSXE INSTALL

network-advantage Smart License network-advantage
dna-advantage Subscription Smart License dna-advantage

If you are not using DNAC, you can ignore that, but what License your purchaged along with device.

(default only ship with network Essential) - if you looking feature to work with switch  network-advantage you need to check the License.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi @hmc250000 

9300 is pretty new switch and it seems to me that this switch never had actually a permanent license. Those expired license is EVAL (Evaluation).

If you have the licensing then you need to perform the process of licensing the switch. You need to know how are you going to do that. Do you have a smart account?  If yes, then, you can do your licensing there. If not, then, you can use some other method.

You can take a look on this guide or, if you are not a technical guy, you can contact the cisco reseller to help you.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/17-3/configuration_guide/sys_mgmt/b_173_sys_mgmt_9300_cg/sl_using_policy.html#Cisco_Concept.dita_7b182d2b-c9cd-4d1e-a7d1-0a5662aae3a7 

But, the switch will not stop working if you do not enable the licensing. However, if you need to enable some feature that depends on the license, you´ll not be able to do that and if you have any problem and need cisco assistance, they may ask you to add licenses.

Yes, I have a smart account however do I not need to activate it on the switch itself? 

Another question about a slightly different model, how do I upgrade the software for this model?

* 1 29 C9300L-24T-4X 17.03.04 CAT9K_IOSXE INSTALL

Is this the 9300L-24T-4X-E? And would I upgrade using the IOS XE Software AP Device Pack image?

Yes, you need to activate.

If you already have the smart account, you need create a token for this device.  The token need to be added to the device with the command:

license smart register idtoken "token" ( you need to copy and paste the toke here)

However, for this method to work your swtich need to have access to the internet.  If your switch can not access the internet, you are going to need another type of licensing like CLR, for example.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst_slr/b-169-9000-series-SLR-cg/b-169-9000-series-SLR-cg_chapter_00.html 

"Another question about a slightly different model, how do I upgrade the software for this model?

* 1 29 C9300L-24T-4X 17.03.04 CAT9K_IOSXE INSTALL

Is this the 9300L-24T-4X-E? And would I upgrade using the IOS XE Software AP Device Pack image?

To upgrade, you need this file "cat9k_iosxe.17.03.05.SPA.bin"  This AP device pack image is for Access Point in case you have WLC on the switch.

If you look at the "cat9k_iosxe.17.03.05.SPA.bin" for 9300L-24T-4X-E or 9300L-24T-4X-a, you are going to see that is the same file, so, dont make any difference.

Thanks. I'm having trouble activating the license. I see these options when I run "license smart ?" in privileged mode.

#license smart ?
authorization Authorization
clear Clear
export Get or return an export authorization key
factory Execute Smart Licensing Factory commands
import Import authcode, policies, trustcode etc
save Save
sync Sync with CSLU/CSSM.
trust Establish trust between PI and CSLU/CSSM.

#license smart

I think you need to enable it:

config term

license smart enable
license smart transport smart
license smart url default

This did not work. Same thing. 

I upgraded the IOSXE as you suggested to version 17.03.05.  From reading this I believe newer IOSXE versions require the Smart License using Policy (SLP)? 

https://community.cisco.com/t5/cisco-software-documents/smart-license-using-policy-slp/ta-p/4167670

I downloaded the SLUC tool but still cannot get it to work. 

I tried  "license smart url cslu http://ip:8182/cslu/v1/pi" but it doesn't work.

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286285506/type/286327971/release/1.0.0-2

url is not an option

#license smart ?
authorization Authorization
clear Clear
export Get or return an export authorization key
factory Execute Smart Licensing Factory commands
import Import authcode, policies, trustcode etc
save Save
sync Sync with CSLU/CSSM.
trust Establish trust between PI and CSLU/CSSM

#license smart

Alright.

Please, allow me recap a little bit. You have smart account, right?  Then, you went there and you create the token?  Now, you are in the step of adding the token to the switch? correct? But, this switch has access on the internet?

Because it must have.  Otherwise, you need to use a different method.

Cisco has:

CSLU and  Specific License Reservation

I recomment you to take a look on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXNQeLoAiDA&t=2564s 

Opened a tech case and this is what worked:

1. Configure the smart transport on the device

The call-home transport can still be used for Smart Licensing Using Policy however it’s a legacy method and it is recommended to use smart transport instead.

Device(config)# license smart transport smart
Device(config)# license smart url default

2.  Obtain a token from the CSSM portal

Go to software.cisco.com > Smart Software Manager > Manage licenses.

Navigate to Inventory > select the proper Virtual Account > General.

A single token can be used for multiple devices as long as it didn’t expire.

If there is a valid token available copy the token to the clipboard. If there is no valid token available generate a new token and copy it to the clipboard.

3.  Establish trust with CSSM

In Smart Licensing Using Policy there is no concept of registration. Instead, the device will establish trust with CSSM using the token obtained from the Virtual Account on CSSM.

Device# license smart trust idtoken <TOKEN> all force

After a few minutes at the very bottom of the ‘show license status’ output you should see the trust code was installed

Device#show license status
<...>
Trust Code Installed: Feb 25 18:37:51 2021 UTC <---

4.  Trigger a license usage report

All licenses used on the device will be included in the license usage report. These licenses are displayed in ‘show license summary’.

In order to push the report to CSSM issue “license smart sync all” command.

After a few minutes in the ‘show license status’ output you should see the the “Last report push” and “Last ACK received” timestamps

Device#show lic status
<...>
Usage Reporting:
Last ACK received: Mar 27 22:33:28 2021 UTC <---
Next ACK deadline: Jun 25 22:33:28 2021 UTC
Reporting push interval: 30 days
Next ACK push check:
Next report push: Apr 26 22:29:28 2021 UTC
Last report push: Mar 27 22:29:28 2021 UTC <---
Last report file write:

Here is also a link with the official Cisco documentation:
Workflow for Topology: Connected Directly to CSSM

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: