cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco DNAC - Error System update failed during INSTALL_PRE_HOOKS

DM812
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to upgrade our DNAC appliance but when trying to go through the System Update i'm getting the error "System update failed during INSTALL_PRE_HOOKS. Applying pre system update hooks failed for node 100.64.16.5".

Anyone got any ideas or seen this before? I've found the article on Cisco Big Checker but the only fix is to raise a TAC case "Contact the TAC to schedule a Webex session to have the workaround applied on an affected system. " (in which our support has ran out and are waiting to be renewed) so the

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Hi

I have no good news for you. I have 10 cluster and 70% failed with similar error during the upgrade.  Some of the issues was Mongodb problems, expired certificates, etc.  TAC manage to fix some but some of them need to engage BU team and even BU didn´t succeed so far.  It´s a nightmare!

It is strongly recommended to open a TAC and ask them to validate the healthy of the cluster before start upgrading.  If you can not open a TAC, its probably recommended do not change DNAC version until you can. Fortunatly, when the upgrade fail, you do not break the tool and you can continue using it. At least, that´s was my case, hope the same happen for you.

I have two more cluster to go.

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A few things to note:

-Try running the upgrade readiness tool (AURA tool) beforehand to see what comes back as it may shed light on your issue, see here: DNAC AURA Tool - Cisco Community

-You can tail logs during the attempted upgrade via:

$ sudo magctl service logs -r -f system-updater

r: Raw log format
f: Follow log in realtime

-If you wish to output update logs to file: $ sudo magctl service logs -r system-updater > system_updater.log

-Check app statuses: $ sudo magctl appstack status

-Double check the upgrade guides to ensure you are meeting the requirements.  Lastly, your best bet is probably to work with TAC. HTH!

Benjamin-A
Level 1
Level 1

Had this multiple times to. For me it sometimes was as easy as restarting the Service / cleaning up docker.

Additionaly to what Mike wrote you can also check the hook installer log directly - this gave me most of the time the hint whats going on:

sudo journalctl -u maglev-hook-installer 

sudo journalctl -u maglev-hook-installer --no-pager

.:|:..:|:.Please rate helpful posts.:|:..:|:.

Hello I have the same issue. I opened a case but still waiting Cisco feedback ;-(

Did you resolve this and how ? 

Pascal.

Pascal MARTI ;-)

MartinKajan
Level 1
Level 1

A TAC case is needed - we had the same problem.. a few (although not exactly timely) responses, an engineer connected remotely and fixed something in the internal DNAC databases which solved our problem.

Hello, I opened a case => the DNAC CIMC NTP servers conf was the issue. ( not synchronesed ) I add severals NTP servers and the next day, the ntp servers was synchronised...  and it works...   Strange issue.. 

Pascal MARTI ;-)
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: