cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNA Center Database backup file size

TheWiz
Level 1
Level 1

I’ve been trying to locate a document that specifies how large a DNA-C Database file might get for back up purposes. All I could find on sizing was for V1.0 which specified that the maximum backup DB size is 10GB and the File Service backup file is 20GB making a total backup file of 30GB max. The later version documents do not specify the size maximums but now include assurance data backups. Is this still the same value with v1.3.1.4 (or 1.3.1.5) for Automation backup (DB etc) or have things changed , and is there a sizing limit to Assurance backup? Is there a way through MAGLEV to view the current sizes or do we have to perform a backup to see?

7 Replies 7

Michael Warren
Level 1
Level 1

Hello TheWiz,

We've just started using DNAC (one small fabric site implementation consiting of 2x border nodes and 7x fabric edge stacks) and I'm also wondering about this as I need to spec a Linux server to host the backups.

Did you ever find anything online other than the official docs (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/network-automation-and-management/dna-center/1-3/admin_guide/b_cisco_dna_center_admin_guide_1_3/b_dnac_admin_guide_1_3_chapter_0111.html#Cisco_Concept.dita_96a7ac0f-063b-4603-a803-9fc15b1...

What kinda size were the backups (Assurance and Automation) once you start the process (of course your mileage may vary compared to ours)?

I can't imagine we're going to need the kind of space the offficial docs mention off the bat!

thanks, Michael Warren

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

These are good questions.  I think the size obviously varies depending on how big the environment is etc., and how often you wish to backup DNAC/Assurance.  I can share some experiences: The backup directory structure for DNAC without Assurance Data looks from a top level looks like this:

backup-metadata
 ndp.redis
 app-hosting.postgres
 maglev-system.credentialmanager
 maglev-system.mongodb
 maglev-system.glusterfs
 fusion.postgres

From my experience running a 3 node cluster DN1-HW-APL (UCS C220 M4s) for a majority of the time with around 100 devices total the backup for only Cisco DNA Center (without Assurance data) for us on average when tarring up everything for archive is ~3.5GB.  I would suggest engaging your Cisco reps, and potentially run some trials to determine what you may desire.  Keep in mind future growth or future changes that may increase size.  HTH!

Hello Mike, thanks for the info, that's very useful.

Having read through the docs I think I'm only interested in Automation backups on a weekly schedule with a retention period of two months - I think we can tolerate losing Assurance data if we suffer a big problem. Our deployment is small at the moment while we test SDA at a pilot site but has the potential to grow much larger. Currently we have a standalone DN1-HW-APL gen2, but that will probably become a 3 node cluster in the next few months.

The only complication is that I need to liaise with another internal group to provide and run the server and storage, hence wanting some 'ball park' disk space sizes to take back to them when they ask the inevitable questions

We certainly hope there'll be future growth in the amount of fabric sites running off the DNAC but our environment is rather challenging (politically), therefore we don't currently run all of the edge networks!

thanks again, Michael   

rasmus.elmholt
Level 7
Level 7

We have a 3 node cluster with 2 SDA Sites on and the backup size is around 2-3 GB. But as far as I can see the size depends heavily on the number of images you have downloaded in your SWIM section.

Please be aware that the documentation recommends daily backup, and that the configuration backup is a full backup and that the assurance backup is incremental.

Michael Warren
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Rasmus,

Thanks for that - we're about to convert our standalone setup into a 3 node cluster AND by the end of summer we should have our second fabric site deployed.  We don't have many images downloaded (although I know there's an update I need to apply to our switches!), so I think we have fairly similar setups. The backup size is interesting.

Michael 

Hi,

In my lab with one DNAC and 2 SDA Sites, the configuration backup size is 6 GB.

At another site we have a 3 node cluster and 2 SDA site as well and a bunch of WLC and switches the configration backup size is 1GB

So again, the conclusion must be: It depends

Cisco DNA Center is the network management and command center for Cisco DNA, your intent-based network for the enterprise. Provision and configure all your network devices in minutes. Use advanced artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) to proactively monitor, troubleshoot, and optimize your network.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/network-automation-and-management/dna-center/1-3/admin_guide/b_cisco_dna_center_admin_guide_1_3/b_dnac_admin_guide_1_3_chapter_0111.html#Cisco_Concept.dita_96a7ac0f-063b-4603-a803-9fc15b1...