cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNA Center: How to Add Outdoor APs

hrios
Level 1
Level 1

How do you add outdoor APs to DNA Center? It appears that the DNA Center Network Hierarchy was not designed with outdoor APs in mind. Sure, you can add APs in the vicinity of a building, but outdoor APs are not always close to buildings. They can be in fields and open areas. So the question remains, how can these APs be added to DNA Center? Has anyone run into this issue? H

6 Replies 6

hrios
Level 1
Level 1

I guess nobody has had the need to add outdoor APs?

DNAC more focused on SD-Access and Enterprise environment,  I do know that some use cases for the Manufacturing or supply chain using DNAC. if even it is not there on 2.X (then may be feature request for BU i guess)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Today, you can only assign APs to floors.  There is no concept of "outdoors" like quads, parks, parking lots, etc.  I had heard that in the future Cisco would be bringing "outdoors" at the floor level that would have "outdoor" like knobs and dials.  So, for today, I just create a floor but call it "quad", "parking lot", or something like that.

ron
Level 1
Level 1

same question here. PI had outdoor areas, that didnt limit your antenna height to the 3m floor heights. No such thing in DNAC from what i can see. Hopefully its coming soon.

pieterh
VIP
VIP

yes we have outdoor AP's

this is no problem at all
just create a "building" and a floor that covers (part of) the terrain instead of an actual building
this "building" can overlap the GPS position with an actual building
(you may select a high ceiling because the access point may be placed on a long pole ?)
than place the access points on this  "floor" 
this can be used for something like a camping with Wi-Fi service

alternatively you create the building "oversized" to include some space outside the building
than position the map of the floor in the center of the window (not in the upper left corner)
this way you can position accesspoint both inside and outside on the "ground floor"
this can be useful when the accesspoint is on the outside wall of the building

trapasso
Level 1
Level 1

I have had this discussion with Cisco in the past.  I have no idea why they removed Outdoor Area from the "Network Hierarchy", especially since Cisco manufacturers outdoor APs.  I have not been able to get a good answer to my question about why they removed outdoor areas other than they did.  It would be nice if they added outdoor areas again instead of us having to workaround this issue by adding a building and a floor......

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: