Views
Helpful
Replies

DNA Center notification if a port goes up/down

dominiks
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am searching for an opportunity to get informed by dna center if a ports goes up or down. I only need notification for access ports. In the Event Catalog from DNA Center, I can’t find such an event. In the assurance tab I see syslog and snmp events if a port goes up or down. But for those events I can’t setup a notification via webhook, forward it to a syslog server or get those events over the api . Is this right or am I missing something?
If this is not possible, a conclusion would be to forward every syslog events received by dna center to another syslog server. Is there a possibility to configure this on dna center?

Kind regards,
Dominik

6 Replies 6

Alex Stevenson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @dominiks 

I found this Cisco Live presentation to be informative in regards to your question:

API's-enabled NOCs - Cisco DNA Center APIs and Event Notifications

https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/us/docs/2020/pdf/DGTL-DEVNET-3008.pdf

Topics covered include:

• Cisco DNA Center Event Notification Framework
  • Webhook Request and Response Exchange
  • Webhook Notifications Workflow
  • Subscribe to Events
  • Configure Cisco DNA Center Webhooks
  • Cisco DNA Center Webhook Sample Payload
  • REST APIs vs. Webhooks

I'm not sure this will get you all the way there but should give you a high-level overview of the process, with some integration examples at the end.

Amin Shahabuddin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @dominiks,

I'm just putting this out here for your reference.

Cisco is hosting live webinars called Ask-the-Experts (ATXs) session, where users can learn more on Cisco products. If you are interested in joining this (FREE) session for DNA Center, please check out the Cisco ATXs Resources to view the latest schedule for upcoming sessions, as well as useful references, e.g. online guides, FAQs.

Hope you find this useful. Cheers!

- Amin

ygelfer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dominic, 

Were you able to achieve the goal? if yes, what was the solution?

Thank you,

Yulia

yes, but it is not really pretty. I use the syslog buffer of the switch to get all syslog events. Therefor i use the Command Runner. Then i scan the received syslog events for a LINKUPDOWN event and extract the interface and timestamp of this event.

One more solution, which is a little bit better/easier, is to use the api endpoint /api/assurance/v2/events. Response will be all events gathered from the network devices (including syslog Port-UP events). Yout still haven´t any notification, but with this information you can build your own webhook or work directly with the response from the api.

blakemweston
Level 1
Level 1

I was looking for notifications of port down from DNAC which doesnt seem to be available. The more I look into the automation / API side of DNAC the amount of limitations doesnt make sense. Why cant we define custom notification triggers?

At this stage I may have to utilise ISE pxGrid API to subscribe for session information, as DNAC appears to only provide notifications for port connected events.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: