Views
Helpful
Replies

DNAC Cluster port IP address

Platypus88
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team, 

I'm planning to deploy DNAC in 3 cluster node. and i have doubt about cluster port requirement.

device model: DN2-HW-APL-L and will run DNAC version 2.2.3.X

based on :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/network-automation-and-management/dna-center/2-2-3/install_guide/2ndgen/b_cisco_dna_center_install_guide_2_2_3_2ndGen/m_plan_deployment_2_2_3_2ndgen.html

we required  below IP Address:

• Cluster Port Address (Required): One IP address with a subnet mask.

• Cluster Virtual IP Addresses: One virtual IP (VIP) address per configured network interface per cluster.
  • Cluster Subnet: Identifies one dedicated IP subnet for the appliance to use in managing and getting IPs for communications among its infrastructure services, such as database access, the message bus, and so on. By default, Cisco DNA Center configures a link-local subnet (169.254.48.0/20) for this parameter, and we recommend that you use this subnet. 

My question are:

1. all those 3 requirement is on the same subnet ? or cluster port address is different with cluster subnet ?

2. does cluster port need to reachable from outside DNAC ?

3. is Cluster VIP address is virtual IP for Cluster port ?

thank you.

3 Replies 3

Hi Thanks for the reply, i have read that document before but still there is no explanation for my question :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/cloud-systems-management/dna-center/214471-cisco-dna-center-3-node-cluster-high-ava.html

1. i saw on that document , the cluster port ip address does not have a gateway meaning no require to route able from outside, so why we need the VIP for cluster port. what is the function ?

2.cluster subnet and cluster port ip address need on the same subnet ?

if you have more clear guide and the function of this 3 item ( cluster port, cluster vip address and clsuter subnet ) will be really helpfull. Thank you

Platypus88

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It sounds like you are looking at a new install.  On the later releases (I think all 2.x releases), the IP addresses for the Cluster have a default 169.x.x.x address.  I see little reason to configure your own.  But to answer your questions,

All the Cluster port IPs should be in the same subnet, not routable from elsewhere in the network.  The Cluster VIP is also in that Subnet and is the Virtual IP for the Cluster link to be used internally.