Views
Helpful
Replies

ROMMON upgrade using SWIM

Sylvain_Che
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

How can we tell DNAC to upgrade the ROMMON for a switch?

I mean I've imported the IOS-XE software image, and the ROMMON image is also automatically downloaded and available in DNAC. I tagged the IOS-XE image as Golden.

When doing a software upgrade for the switch, I don't see how we can force the ROMMON upgrade.

My environment:

DNAC: 2.2.3.5

Switch: 4510R+E running 3.7.3E and target image is 3.11.5E.

Regards,

Sylvain.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

TAC answered me:

After checking with our internal team and we found that Rommon upgrade is only supported on single chassis with single supervisor. So in conclusion it's not supported if we have dual supervisors. Later there was an ask to extend it for other combinations like dual sup and quad sup, but as the device is EOL it was never prioritized. Hence the support is limited.

So ROMmon upgrade should be done manually in case of dual-SUPs.

Regards,

Sylvain.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In the Image Repository, in the Version column, is the "Add on" text a hyper link?  I think it should pick up the rommon verison and make that link available.   I don't have a 4500 in my lab, but here's an example of a 9800 where I can click add-on and see an available SMU.  You can see there is a rommon tab too.

If you have imported the rommon file into DNA, but don't see the available rommon in the add-on tab, I think you'll need to open a TAC case.

Hi,

The ROMMON image is there and available in the ROMmon tab, but my question is: how to upgrade the ROMMON of a switch by using DNA Center?

First you have to select the rommon version as Golden also (that is done in the popout I showed earlier).  When that's done, then the add-on upgrades will happen alongside the image upgrade... they can't be done separately.  You can see the add on show up in the summary of the Image Upgrade popout when you are just about ready to kick off the distrubtion nad acitvation of images.   Look for "(AddOns: 1)" in the "to Image" column of the attached picture.

Hi @Preston Chilcote ,

The ROMmon is not selectable as Golden in the pop-up window:

SWIM IOS-XE golden.pngSWIM rommon.png

Regards,

Sylvain.

Please open a TAC case.

Hello,

Were you able to get a resolution for this? I was trying to figure out the same thing regarding rommon upgrade. Any info would help, thanks!

Hello,

TAC answered me:

After checking with our internal team and we found that Rommon upgrade is only supported on single chassis with single supervisor. So in conclusion it's not supported if we have dual supervisors. Later there was an ask to extend it for other combinations like dual sup and quad sup, but as the device is EOL it was never prioritized. Hence the support is limited.

So ROMmon upgrade should be done manually in case of dual-SUPs.

Regards,

Sylvain.

Okay thank you for that information, that's unfortunate though because all of our chassis have dual-sups in my environment.

Best Regards,

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: